codling in howth

Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:53 pm

is there any decent codling marks around howth.ive heard there is one near the baily.has anyone caught codling here and what bait did you use

Re: codling in howth

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:57 pm

the cod mark is at the baily.go down the private road past the gates when you come to the house its to your right.(or at the gate turn right and walk down a very steep slope holding onto the old rusty fence.i wouldnt recomend that way)

Re: codling in howth

Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:37 pm

SORRY I 4GOT TO MENTION BAIT PEELERS ARE BEST BUT BUMPER PORTIONS OF RAG TIPPED WITH OTHER BAITS WORK

Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:16 pm

do you fish there at night Damien? bit of a dodgy spot is it not? heard of the odd good cod there myself but haven't fished that side in years.

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:59 pm

the latest at night i fished it was bout 8 in december of last year.it was good fishing after dark with decent whiting and 2 cod over 2lb its a dodgy spot at night so alwys bring a rope so you can be sure to get bavk up

Cod

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:16 pm

Howth is not a renowned spot for Cod. Much better to fish the North and South beaches at Greystones. The Codling and Muldich banks just offshore have shown good numbers of Codling this summer and some are now starting to get cuaght from these beaches. Dublin as a whole is pretty bad for cod. especially last years season! This is a good spot to try. I personally have never had a lot of success for codling at Howth except for finger fish. Others have perhaps but I can only speak for myself.