Mackerel Bashing

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:35 pm

Can anyone recommend a mark up towards N coast that still has good supplies of mackerel to stock up on bait for winter? Anywhere from N. Down to N. Donegal is accessible - would rather ensure having my own decent bait rather than buying second-rate frozen efforts.

You can send a PM if reqd - though i doubt mackerel marks are such a closely guarded secret?

Thanks in advance.

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:30 pm

Belfast lough is full of mackerel at the moment ,the killoughan jetty bouy is a good bet for the boat at the moment this is just out side white head ,garron point in red bay allways seems to produce fish as well plus theres plenty of lance sandeels as well .

Makerel bashing

Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:09 pm

I fished Greencastle in Donegal this time 2 years ago and there were plenty of mackerel to be had at the end of the pier to feathers

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:09 pm

Ronald, where is the mark at Garron Point? Is it just at the little car-park and couple of houses a couple of miles up the coast road from G/Tower?

Thanks.

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:52 am

Thats the place ,you can fish out of the car park from rocks opposite , farther down into red bay is a ruined pier ,this is quite good for cod in winter but is really rough ground so is pretty tackle hungry ,worth it though :wink:

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:33 am

OOooOOoohhhhh Ronald, Cod you say? Could we not get any more Info on that!!! Ack go on...... Go onnnnn!!!!!!

cod?

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:29 pm

Ohh indeed...

Is that Cod or Codling? :wink: