fenit

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:33 pm

there's a very good chance i'll be going to fenit on wednesday for 24-36 hrs fishing, and i havent fished there in years, just wondering what best things too use e.g. rigs ,bait ect

also want to see if i can catch a tope as well i presume floating a whole mackerel might work...

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:44 pm

Steve,Fenit is fishing well at night on a rising tide .Main species thornback ray,doggies,mackeral and a recent glut of stingray to 40lb.Also good late evening for conger in the marina area.My favourite rig to use when not targeting any particular species is a 3 hook flapper with the bottom soood about 2 feet.If targeting the stingray a mackeral/squid wrap on a running ledger ending in about 3feet of at least 60lb shockleader.otherwise mackeral is best bait.
If wanting to target tope the end of the pier into the deepwater channel on a rising tide might be your best bet but a huge cast is essential.Otherwise the very end of Inch strand or the other side at rossbeigh on an evening flood tide could be worth a try.If you are going to fish Fenit on wednesday afternoon/evening send me a pm and I will join you.