SAI trip to Iceland!

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 pm

Just going to throw the idea out there chaps.

I've been looking into a trip to Iceland to do some shore fishing because I've seen a few articles in the fishing magazines and it looks fantastic, loads of big cod (quite a few to double figures), big haddock, plaice, whiting, lemon sole, ling all sorts!

I contacted a guy called Steve Mason who runs trips to Iceland for Irish & British anglers, he said he could cater for groups of up to 16. The best time to go is between April - September. He was telling me for all fishing tackle, bait, Airport transfers & accomodation, it would cost £550 (sterling) a man for a week, thats in or around €770 me thinks. Just pay for your own flights on the web, it'd probably come to around a €1,000 for the week.

Take a look at the link and see what ye reckon, http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/145 ... 01-29.html

Unfortunatley I won't be able to go this year but I'm really keen on going in April/May next year when Steve assures me the Cod sport is at it's best. Talk of 8 - 10lb fish a cast taking fishbaits before they even hit the bottom....Paradise :lol:

I've been in the situation before where I've gone somewhere (Dingle & Thailand for example)with non fishing mates or herself and ended up not doing as much fishing as I'd like, feeling guilty even for heading off for a few hours. This is the reason I've come down this road of organising a trip with dare I say it "Real Anglers", so that 12 hours a day are spent enjoying the sport that we ourselves had a long time ago before so many years of commercial over fishing decimated our stocks so drastically.

Any thoughts/interest in the SAI "Iceland" meet in April/May or am I going on my tobler?? :lol:

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Apologies thats April/May 2008 :oops:

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:57 am

I'd be interested in finding our more about this, Alby. So it's a "definite maybe".

How soon were you thinking of tying down the dates? I'd have to look at my lecture timetable ...

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 am

Put me down as a definite maybe too Alby.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 am

Was thinking about heading there myself Alby, if there is a trip being organised I'd be more than up for it.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 am

i would b up 4 it!!

kenya

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:12 am

i would definately be on for such a trip, although I much prefer boat fishing. Does anyone want to go chartering in Kenya next winter?

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 pm

fishinmidget wrote:i would b up 4 it!!

You'll be in school!! :P :P

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:11 pm

I should have a few brochures by the weekend so I'll bring a few down to the Comp in Kilmuckridge.

As regards dates we can only do our best as to find week that suits as many people as possible, or even have a few options and contact Steve to see what his availability is like.

Ok I'll get the ball rolling- I'm the first definite for the SAI Iceland Trip 2008 :lol:

[img]http://www.worldseafishing.com/data/images/news/categories/cat_145/iceland_barneycod.jpg[/img]

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:16 pm

Bradan wrote:
fishinmidget wrote:i would b up 4 it!!

You'll be in school!! :P :P

We are allowed to take time off to go to different countries.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:58 pm

I'd be well up for this myself Alby -
have already got the "provisional" go - ahead from the missus 8) .

john.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:18 pm

ok im game man... 100% (until further notice :lol: 8) )

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:30 pm

I'll go too!

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:55 pm

Henry Gilbey did a programme on Norway a couple of weeks ago on Sky. Definately looked the business when every drop from the boat was a new PB 8)

I hear John Wilson has a programme on soon based around Norway also. :shock:

Good luck to those who go. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to go. :cry:

Steve

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:56 pm

ALby,

You can put my name down for this one.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 am

Trips like that are a great idea but have'nt Iceland reinterduced the killing of whales again. So should we as conservation minder anglers be supporting their economy

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:37 am

Very good point Donal....

I'm not sure if Iceland have indeed re-introduced the killing of Wales again, but if this is true, I think that all anglers should boycot the country. We should also make the point the the goverment that we were planning a trip there and thinking of spending over €1000 per man, but because of their backward thinking we will take our Money elsewhere.

Just my thoughts,

Kev

whaling

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:33 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6107074.stm

Iceland re introduced whaling at the end of last year

I wont be going!

Kev

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Read the article fully and noticed that Norway seemingly had reintroduced whaling themselves even before this and it hasnt stopped any of the big :roll: names in fishing (Wilson/Gilbey/Young) who are (or claim to be) as conservation minded as any of us in going there to fish.

Noted also that they quoted their whaling activities as sustainable fishing??

What does this tell us? I really dont know.

But what I do know is that this would not put me off going to Iceland for what would be to me the trip of a lifetime.

Dont get me wrong, I'm as conservation minded as the next angler and do my bit with catch and release and reporting any illegal activities etc.

john.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Kraken wrote:Read the article fully and noticed that Norway seemingly had reintroduced whaling themselves even before this and it hasnt stopped any of the big :roll: names in fishing (Wilson/Gilbey/Young) who are (or claim to be) as conservation minded as any of us in going there to fish.

Noted also that they quoted their whaling activities as sustainable fishing??

What does this tell us? I really dont know.

But what I do know is that this would not put me off going to Iceland for what would be to me the trip of a lifetime.

Dont get me wrong, I'm as conservation minded as the next angler and do my bit with catch and release and reporting any illegal activities etc.

john.

im with kraken here 2... i wouldnt let that stop me goin... how many people eat tuna..even tho they net and kill thousands of dolphins (well used 2 anyway)... its the same thing..all i can do i hold my own and enjoy my fishing, whilst upholding the conserving of the fish ... mayb the subject is a bit taboo but i still want 2 go