Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Weather during the day tomorrow is very bad but it looks like the wind will die down later on. I'm bringing my gear in and will head out there after work for before 7:30. Hopefully it'll be ok to fish. Bring a good light source, decent foot ware and prepare for cold weather. This is a unofficial meet so its up to yourselves to look after your own health and safety.

Fentit bob. Meeting in carrig island west. The road is signposted on the outskirts of ballylongford on the road to asdee. Follow the road out until you see carrigafoyle castle and turn right over the bridge. Take the left and drive carefully down. Its a rock mark where very short casts can get fish but distance also produces. You may want to prepare for tackle losses but John happily fishes away with 3 hook rigs at distance here with little to non. pass on your number if your going.

Donagh

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:39 pm

The wind should die down a bit alright by evening time. I'd agree with Donagh, wrap up with plenty of layers. A good headlamp and sensible footware are also a must. Nothing worse than getting cold. A big woolly hat also a good idea to keep heat in.

I almost forgot some servietts for the sambo's the boys are bringing. We dont want to get crumbs all over out gear.

Garoid, I will have to get a couple of Mackeral off you. I will bring a box of Squid to barter with.

Fenit bob , Donaghs directions are spot on, once you get over the bridge and turn left just keep going until you see all the other cars parked. I'll be there around 7pm. Its just a few minuets walk from there then. follow the car tracks through 2 fields until you meet the shoreline and we will be done on your left. It is a comfortable platform to fish from once you get there.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:43 am

Cant make it tonight lads, sorry. Enjoy anyway.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 pm

[quote="JOHN LYNCH"]Garoid, I will have to get a couple of Mackeral off you. I will bring a box of Squid to barter with[/qoute/]

grand job boss the mother is at me to clean out the freezer anyway tis stuffed to the gills with mackies(and small sandeels that you didnt want! i notice you seem to have the larger ones :D

hopefully be there round 7:30 myself so see ye there lads

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:03 pm

wont make it cant get home early enuf.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:00 pm

are there still good numbers of whites at carrig west??

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:38 pm

oh ya, loads of them

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:06 am

We arrived at carrig west last night to gail force winds and driving hailstones that I thought were going to go throgh my wind screen. With this we decided to go and seek shelter from the then strong SW wind.

We decided to head for Foynes but by this time the wind had swung west if not WNW. I knew we had a better chance of winning the Euro millions than catching a fish here ,especially with been so far up the estuary with and all the fresh water on the way down. We first went down below thw picnic area just before foynes but as the tide droped further as we headed towards LW , it became impossible to fish as we had 60yds of Mudflats in front of us before we met the water. Donagh and Garoid headed off and soon after myself and Derry. At this stage Pat Kenny and the late Late show was seeming more interesting than usual.

Donagh and Garoid headed for the trailor Park for congers and myself and Derry below the Yaught club. Needless to say we blanked. If you like fishing but dont like touching fish Foynes is one of the best spots you could fish this time of the year.

I,ll pencil in Friday the 1st of December for a return to Carrig West or maybe that weekend. There might be a few more whiting in the estuary by then.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:49 am

It was great to avoid having to unhook any of those nasty fish and I don't care how bad things anythings better than watch that plank Pat Kenny.

I haven't fished the trailer mark much at this time of year but we have had good conger here in similiar conditions in january. But all the rivers round here are bursting their banks which is bad sign for the amount of fresh coming through. THe crabs were devouring whole squid in seconds which is a sure sign theres no conger around.

I'm heading back to wicklow that weekend of the 1st so I won't make it but hopefully theres a good turn out. Carrig west is about the best mark we could fish in the winter hopefully this waether will move off.

Donagh

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:20 pm

Next Friday might work for Carrig West. HW about 7.30. Personally now I prefer to fish it either over LW or the coming tide but the locals who have fished it alot more than me say that the going is best. I suppose it all depends on the fishing you have on the particular day .

Just looking at the forecast for the week ahead, it is to stay cold wet and breezy through until Wednesday and then settling down for a few days. One of these days could be next Friday. But as we know the forecasts are really only accurate up to a couple of days beforehand.

Another option would be to fish it on Saturday and get a bit of the flooding tide in as well.

Let me know what ye all think.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 pm

loads of other venues that would have offered shelter lads, yee just dont the estuary yet.

munster06 there is loads of whites on all the kerry beaches you should know, and carraig is such a easy place to catch fish dont know now you blanked that day.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:28 pm

were listening.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:52 pm

ya,dunno what took ye up to foynes. But anyway next sat would be good for me and yed never know we might have a backup venue if the weather is sh1te. at least someone last night had a bit of luck in foynes and is 9 mil the richer.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 pm

you dont expect me to give up that kind of information, it has taken me 15yrs to get to know that area so i had loads of hard days.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:22 pm

I suppose we could have tried a few other spots but when we got to carrig the weather was so bad that we wanted somewhere as sheltered as possible. Ideally near to our cars.

Weirdfish are U off next Saturday.

By the way did ye see the big write up on the Estuary in this months Sea Angler Magazine. They basically cut and pasted it from the shannon fisheries board website. Some of that stuff is so out of date.

Brendan, Saturday seems a good idea , would u be up to fishing the coming tide. I did so myself about 10 days ago . I fished 3 baits at distance and was getting draged all over the place but the fishing was good. Only lost the one rig.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:05 pm

ill be there. Cant be any worse than last night. did you here some one in fyones last night won the euro millions. remeber i stoped for desil ????????

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:19 pm

unlucky derry ticket was sold thursday better luck next time!

Ya we cud fish from about 3.30-4.00 onwards plenty of darkness. Hopefully the cold will stay and bring some fish. We could always head to the other side of the island and set up the buddies if the winds blowin us off the rocks.

Ps you can get the sambos ready this time (few eels for bait aswell :wink: )

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 pm

I suggested Foynes thinking the trailer park so we could fish out of the car. The small marina which had been open is now closed and the yaught marina has been pulled up for the winter and having not been here in a while did not know. I've never claimed to have a great knowledge of the Estuary or fishing but I've had plenty of straps from that mark at low water at this time of year with similiar weather after plenty of rain. Some days the fish just aren't on the feed. Don't worry I won't bother suggesting anywhere in future.

I'd be on for fishing saturday if the weather is ok. I haven't a beach buddy so I'll have to leave it if its to bad for carrig west.

Donagh

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:11 pm

If you ask me Donagh ,Foynes was the only place that we could of gotten that type of shelter. I was frightened to get out of my car at carrig.

You've got as much right to suggest a spot as anyone. No one claims to be an expert on Fishing or on Marks in the Estuary. Especially not me. I do most of my fishing off the beaches in Kerry with little success.

Funny though how my earlier comments about having a better chance of winning the Euro millions than catching a fish in Foynes were proved right :lol: :lol: :lol: I think that person in Foynes won 9million on the same night.

Anywhere else we would of gotten blown away or Frozen by the driving hail. Pity we do not live on the Dingle peninsula where we could always find shelter and a decent surf.

We will watch things closely for the weekend, but I can report having seen the long range forecast for next weekend that there is a low pressure centre above Ireland. Just Great. I will keep an eye on it through the week and report back.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 pm

Brendan do you know that we have a competition on inch next Sunday. Its the Inter Firm. There are usually nice prizes. Depending on the weather I'd say it could be moved to one of the brandon beaches.

ps . I'll make you a few of those jellied eel sambos your after. :lol: