Cork Conger Meet

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:46 am

Hi anyone up for a bit of fishing on Saturday night at the Monkstown wall??

Gonna give the auld Cod a miss and give the Congers a try. Last time out there was back in June I think, but had a about 3 small congers and plenty of doggies.

Not sure what the weather is gonna be like so would recommend bringing some wet gear in case.

Bobby

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Yeah im down man. we should try the dock that is across the pier while the tide is coming in and the rocks in our normal spot when the tide is going out. weather is not going to be great, but in checking all my sites wind, waves, ect, it looks like the harbor should be grand.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:39 pm

cool man. You wanna get started about 7 or 8. Not sure what time the tides are at but will check up the tide book later. Doesn't really matter I suppose theres always a few roaming around. Better make sure to stock up in some heavier pund line etc.

Talk to you later dude.

Bobby

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Wouldnt have minded joining you lads but I'm away to Donegal this weekend I'm afraid. Another time.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Not 100% yet but thinking of heading down that direction this weekend for conger. If I make it down would you mind me tagging along

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:52 pm

no problem whatsoever man, the more the merrier!

I think its good to get together and share some tactics etc..

Shame you can't make it Pete but we'll probably see you at the monkstown stripper meet :)

All the best.

Bobby

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:55 pm

As long as neither you nor I are doing the stripping, Ill see you there...!

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Lol

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:01 pm

well u certainly don't want me doing the stripping for damn sure. hahahaha
should be a good night so. bob i will forward u on the tides for the wknd after my meeting.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:03 pm

Cool man. Should we pick up some mackeral for bait or do you want to try something else. Those whiting heads worked much better I think the last time in Ballycotton, they'd probably be able to give us the heads in the English market. Sure they throw them away anyhow.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:13 pm

i think i will leave it up to you this week man. ill let catch the whiting again bobbyboy. how many macs would u say 10? thats 5 each. not a lot when think bout it if we both have two rods out. thats 4 heads a go. if you want to give me money i will get more. i still have to ask the woman to let me off the leash.

does anyone have any sessions on amount of bait needed for a good long conger session on 4 rods? I'd rather have more than i need than not enough.

now better go ask bout that leash

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Drop a line in fairly short with a little strip of mack/squid on small hooks. Between pout and poor cod and pin whiting you'll have all the bait you need if stocks start running low.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:24 pm

thats a good idea. we did that in cobh for pike bait b4 we started getting serious bout sea angling. nearly forgot bout that. thanks for reminding me.

bob lets both bring an extra rod each and do that.

still have to check with the boss, but as she is sick i have a perfect excust to get out of the house.
aaaaahhahahaha!!!!

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Yeah we'll get 10 anyway just to be on the safe side in case we don't get anything :)

I still have a few mack in the freezer and lampreys but will probably save them for the next pike trip.

I'll be in town Saturday morning as I have to go to this Jazz thingy in Cork Harbour so I'll pick them up in the market. You can buy me a pack of smokes for your 5 :)

I only have 2 reels at the moment for sea fishing but might just bring a spinning rod and reel to cast out for the smallies. Hope the weathers not too bad. I don't mind the rain but whens its windy theres always a huge swell in the water.

Oh yeah just in case I forget remind me this time to bring the Glow Sticks I always fecking forget them.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:49 pm

Oh yeah Coaster, we're probably gonna get started about 7-8pm but we'll probably be there till 1 or 2 in the morning so stop on by whenever can

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:59 pm

Fisherman Bob wrote:Oh yeah Coaster, we're probably gonna get started about 7-8pm but we'll probably be there till 1 or 2 in the morning so stop on by whenever can

Cheers bob.
I am planing to fish ballycotton sat but if the fishing is not the best Ill head down to ye. I'm going to be fishing down at the wall next week for the first time and wouldn't mind a look at it in day light first

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:11 pm

cool. Best of luck at Ballycotten. We spent the whole day there from about 12pm till 1am last Saturday. Got plenty off dog fish and small huss, a few whiting and Dan hooked into one conger but line snapped. I heard there were 2 lads down there last Tuesday though and got something like 20 congers.

Sure if your not getting anything spin down to Monkstown.

Cheers,

Bobby

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:35 am

Yeah its to bad my trace was not long enought to keep from rubbing off the edge of the hole it was dug into. I would have got him in if it were not for that. Was prepared to fight him the whole night.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:38 am

Coaster, good luck down in ballycotton this weekend. the weather is not to be great on the open coast sine. if it were to be better I would be out there for another go at the one that got away. let me know how u get on as i might spen a couple nights there the following weekend if i'm not going to dublin for da bank holiday

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Hey lads.
Just been checking out other posts.

Don't know when I would ever get the chance to use all the info on this site but I love the fact its there if I ever need it.