St. Johns Point 16-19 August

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

St. Johns Point 16-19 August

Postby markj » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:08 am

A paired Rambler comp fished at St. Johns Point, Co. Donegal. A mix of ground, from very rough to patches of clean sand in parts that should throw up an interesting variety of species. Wrasse fishing here can be nothing short of spectacular at times. Fish to be expected here are as follows, Wrasse, Pollack, Coalfish, Garfish, Mackerel, Bull Huss, LSDs, Gurnard, Flatties, Conger, occasional Whiting and Ray

Access to the mark is easy enough and doesnt involve huge walks or major climbing etc. I suppose we should also pick a beach venue nearby in case of inclement weather. Anyone staying over could use Donegal Town as a base I suppose, loads of B & Bs etc around there or camp at St. Johns Point itself.
Because of the kind of venue it is, fish it in pairs, ie One Northern member paired with a Southern member for scoring purposes.

I propose a meet for anglers in the northwest or any anglers on the forum that want to take part. I though this was a great idea by petekd and if anyone that wants to fish this on the dates mentioned please get back to me and we will get it organised. If anyone wants a to do a day on the boat aswell let me know...
Reporter to Jimi Hendrix: " Jimi, whats it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?"
Jimi: "Ask Rory Gallagher"
markj
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby petekd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Count me in for the 19th Markj, disappointingly, this hasnt been greeted with the positive response I expected considering the amount of early interest in that particular idea. To hell with it, we'll have a meet up anyway so. I am trying to book a weeks hols before the end of the summer so hopefully the date wont clash. fair play for taking the bull by the horns anyway.... :D
Last edited by petekd on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby markj » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Just checked the calender there, im home on the 15th Aug and plan to fish from the 15th- 19th, also hope to do a few days on the boat aswell. 8)
Reporter to Jimi Hendrix: " Jimi, whats it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?"
markj
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Conor H » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 pm

Mark and Pete, keep myself and Cassie informed on this one, we'd a couple of great days at the wrasse up there last year and have vowed to go back this year when we can. Had over 70 wrasse and about 20 pollock from the very point pastthe lighthouse in a space of about 4 hours - all on rag. We tried limpet just out of curiosity - just as successful.

Like I say, keep us posted. If there's a suitable launch site, I might bring the Hog up .
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Will do mate, boats eh, theres an idea.... Anyone know the story on Slips in the vicinity of St Johns Point? Seen lads launching off the beach there alright but I dont know if I'd fancy that too much. They were mostly Ribs as far as I remember.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby markj » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 pm

No bother off the beach, if you have a jeep! There are places down the point, ballysagart pier and.......cant remember the name but its the second last left turn before you come to the beach, one of the lads had a John Dorey of here once!
markj
SAI Hammerhead

Postby markj » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm

You could also ask Pete, he will know for sure..... 8)
markj
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MAC » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:37 am

I'll try to make this one. I'll be away for the SAI comp the weekend before so I might be streaching it a little. We'll see how it goes. I've been working hard on my brownie points.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby pete » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:46 am

Divers usually launch of the beach, small slipway at Cassan Sound too..feckin awkard thing to get the boat onto though. Slipway at Killybegs is top notch..more varied fishing close at hand too. As far as I know I'll be in Belfast that weekend so don't think I'd be able to tag along..will try though
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
Fresh Water (2) brown trout, sea trout
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby petekd » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 am

This is the weekend after next Lads, whos coming? Who fancies a Saturday wrasse and pollack bashing? :D Conor, if your coming bring the Hog up surely, I'll bring Norfolk down too. If you are able, stay for the Sunday too.....
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Conor H » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Pete, am taking the old man out on Carlingford on Sat, hopefully will be able to make the following weekend too. Don't think I'll catch much this weekend, but have always been curios about Carlingford, heading out more to satisfy curiosity than anything else.
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby pete » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:52 am

You should try trolling a plug along the shore Conor, bass and sea trout hunt inside the lough. Used to do quite a bit of work out on Carlingford and got the impression talking to folk that the fishing inside the lough was crap and you needed to head well out to get the tope, codling and pollock.
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Conor H » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:58 pm

what's the story for next weekend then ? If we're taking boats, would there be a space for 1 on another boat ?
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby petekd » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Sweating on small little junction piece arriving for the mariner. If that arrives, we can take 1 more aboard Norfolk alright.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby pete » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:14 am

Will be around but had a bit of an accident with the trailer at the weekend so don't know if I'll be fit to bring Muc mara - will hopefully get a repair job of sorts made in time
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:57 am

Didnt get the wee bit for my engine but we have come up with a viable alternative that should solve the problem. Whats the story then so lads? Ill pack the shore gear in case weather takes a turn but would hope to get out on boat all the same. Wherever we decide to meet, it will be near lunchtime before I will make it as travelling up from Cork late tonight.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats