NEW TO SHORE FISHING?

Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:18 am

Been fishing all my life mainly on the boat however i have recently taken up shore fishing but seem to be lacking the essential skills i.e distance casting. Is there anyone thats willing to let me be there student for the day or is there a such thing as a guide for sea fishing?

meet

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 am

there are a group of lads that get together once a mnth so keep an eye for forum meets the help and advice i have got of them is priceless.

the next meet is fri 14th at portrush go read forum and get directions they are a friendly open group so dont fell wierd about arriving iam also a newstart so if i can make it you will not be on your own

Re: meet

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:04 pm

pookie wrote:there are a group of lads that get together once a mnth so keep an eye for forum meets the help and advice i have got of them is priceless.

the next meet is fri 14th at portrush go read forum and get directions they are a friendly open group so dont fell wierd about arriving iam also a newstart so if i can make it you will not be on your own

Thats comforting to know pookie cant make this week but will have to get out within the next mont or two before christmas. Cheers for the advice

Learning to beachcast

Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Hello Hairyconger,

If it's any help to you, there's a guy from Bangor who teaches anglers to cast. I went to him a few times a couple of years ago and he knows his stuff. He is or was a casting champion or something like that and is prepared to help if he can.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost his phone number but most of the tackle shops know him and can put you in touch with him. He's very good and he cuts through all the c**p that some "experts" would have you believe is needed.

Call into your local tackle shops and get his number. Maybe some of the other anglers on the forum know him or have his number? It's worth a call at least isn't it?

I hope this helps

Re: Learning to beachcast

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:39 am

Tryer wrote:Hello Hairyconger,

If it's any help to you, there's a guy from Bangor who teaches anglers to cast. I went to him a few times a couple of years ago and he knows his stuff. He is or was a casting champion or something like that and is prepared to help if he can.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost his phone number but most of the tackle shops know him and can put you in touch with him. He's very good and he cuts through all the c**p that some "experts" would have you believe is needed.

Call into your local tackle shops and get his number. Maybe some of the other anglers on the forum know him or have his number? It's worth a call at least isn't it?

I hope this helps

Ecellent tryer great help thought his post was a long shot if you can come across his number please pm me

Many thanks

Stephen

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:00 pm

is it sean neall? 'beachcaster' may have a contact number?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:20 pm

it cant be anybody else!!!!!!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:22 pm

beachcaster wrote:it cant be anybody else!!!!!!

Do you or Bigphil have his number?

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:09 pm

had it but lost it! beachcaster may have it or know someone who does, he's your best bet

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:10 pm

if you make it to some of the meets, the likes of beachcaster or some of us could put you through the basics, but as always it would be best to learn from someone who actually teaches it.

Learning to cast

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:52 pm

Yes Big Phil, that's the very person. I still can't find his phone number though. I got it from Alister in Tight Lines a couple of years ago and I'd say he still has it. I've met others that he has taught and it's the same story every time, he's always improved their casting and distances. I've not heard a bad word yet about him from anyone that he's taught. He's worth seeking out.

Re: Learning to cast

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:58 pm

Tryer wrote:Yes Big Phil, that's the very person. I still can't find his phone number though. I got it from Alister in Tight Lines a couple of years ago and I'd say he still has it. I've met others that he has taught and it's the same story every time, he's always improved their casting and distances. I've not heard a bad word yet about him from anyone that he's taught. He's worth seeking out.

Cheers lads beachcaster has his number he pm me to ask me for my number so the guy can contact me

Many Thanks

Stephen

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:55 pm

Sean Neill taught me to cast a few years ago in the North Down casting club.He is an excellent tutor,very patient and great at explaining techniques.I increased my distance from 90yards to 218yards in a few months.He had quite a bad accident at work a while back which has left him in a lot of pain,so he may not be able to give as much time as he would like.
Try him anyway,he's a really likeable and friendly guy.