Northwest Meet?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:30 am

There seems to be a few of us on this forum based in Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo. Are we up for meeting up on the shore for a days crack?

Pete

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 am

Aye, but will we all fit into Letrim at the same time? :lol:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:40 am

Heyyyy, don't diss Letrim, it must have about all of 5 miles of coastline....! :D

(Come to think of it, that would be a nifty challange, to catch a sea fish from Letrim.)

Meet sounds good, but better be quick cos Mrs Tanglerat returns from her travels soonish and that might cramp my activities :shock:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:13 pm

Well, anyone got any preference for date, time and venue? Once we get that thrashed out, we can have a look at tides etc. Any chance of a venue where beachcasting or spinning / fly fishing is possible in a reasonably confined area? No point meeting up if we're then spread over miles of coast. (Unlikely in Letrim, mind you...)

There is a SAC comp to be fished in the NW somewhere sometime in the reasonably near future, might be a good chance for a spot of reconnaisance....

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Well I'm not coming if you're going to be slagging us off :evil: I'll have you know it's 3 Miles long, All rock, between the Drowes and Duff rivers, which are both excellent salmon rivers. :D

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:09 pm

It seems slagging Letrim is a perfect bait for catching Adrian. Wondered how long it would be before he rose to the bait. :lol:

So Adrian, since it's your patch, where's good?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Thats an awful bit of slagging your gettin Adrian, and we haven't even got to the shore yet! I'm easy for a venue, Teelin would be good as there is a good variety of ground and species there. Depends on how many heads we have. Cruit Island for a days exploring even. Plenty of space at Mullaghmore and decent flats (although red tide hit this area) As I say I've no real preferences.

I'm going to suggest the 17th of September which is a Saturday and the tides are fairly big too. Low water at midday.

Pete

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:12 pm

I'm up for that for now anyhow. I've heard it said that there is some good fishing to be had from the rocks behind Teelin pier. Cruit might be a bit far north for some, but a good suggestion. Mullaghmore apt to be plagued with non-anglers - have they gone by then usually?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:42 pm

Aye Teelin should be fishing well then too. There isn't a huge pile of room there though so I'd guess we could make a decision based on how many are up for it. It's exposed in a strong south or southwesterly but is grand in anything else.

Shall we say Teelin or Mullaghmore for the 17th September then? Any other suggestions?

Pete

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:19 pm

On Kieran's "Guide to Marks" he reckons there's loads of unexplored untapped potential in Donegal.

How about if we go somewhere unreported, off the beaten track, and help fill in some of the blanks for the site?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:30 pm

That last one was me, by the way........... :?

Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:40 am

Hi guys ,
I'm up to my ears for a while but it would be great to meet you all :D . Suggest you confirm plans without me but if you'd be good enough to keep me informed I'll be there if I can . No problem if space is tight , I'll watch or look for fossils or crabs or something . Can't catch fish anyway :( .Might pick up one or two of your secrets tho' :wink: .
All the best
Nick

Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Where abouts would you be thinkin Tanglerat? Unless we just meet in some town in the morning and then make a decision based on weather etc.

Pete

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:36 pm

Crikey Pete! I'm pretty much the last you should be asking that, I'm not a shore angler and I'd hate to suggest somewhere and have a load of guys turn up and find it useless.

Mind you, the other day I was high up on Killult looking out to sea and the entrance to Balliness Bay looked interesting, with Mageraroarty Beach behind it...............

This is what Kieran's guide says about the area: :D

Postscript:

The land west of Falcarragh is largely unexplored and not pictured above - clearly access is a problem and the prevailing weather does not help but we have no doubt that it harbours some excellent shore fishing marks.

[url]http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20donegal%20north.htm[/url]

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:13 am

I'm going to suggest Melmore Head area, was up there last week with work and it looked very fishy, good variety of marks. We could met in Carrickgart town in the morning. What you think? Were not far away from Falcarragh there either.

Pete

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:31 am

I was just up round there yesterday - out on a boat mind you, but on the way back in to Meevagh pier, we came past melmore & several very fishy looking isolated strands.

Skipper mentioned there should be flatties & rays off the shore up there onto the clean ground - prob the usual suspects up a the head itself.

I'll definitely be up to try some of the beach marks up there soon.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:40 pm

I'm well used to being slagged :wink: . I'd love to meet up, but unfortunately I'll be really tied up until around November (With the exception of 1 weekend we're heading up to Rossnowlagh). Anyway, hopefully I'll have more time on my hands and I can join in next year.

There is supposed to be a cove between Creevy and Rossnowlagh which might be worth investigating, I can't remember what it's called but apparantly it involves a walk across some farmland. Anyone know where this is?

I have been sussin out some of the marks around Mullaghmore and there are a few places where you wouldn't get bothered by tourists. But it looks like it will be more of a Donegal area meet this time around.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:04 pm

Are young anglers welcome?
You guys all sound alot older?!!!

Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:44 pm

Are young anglers welcome?
You guys all sound alot older?!!!

Are you saying I'm old? :shock: I'll have to start using a younger font or something.....Seriously though, I don't know what age you think we are and I don't know what age you (Or any of the rest of the lads) are, but if you're old enough to be allowed out (so to speak) I don't think anyone will mind.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:17 pm

Right, somebody take charge quick and make the decisions!

Where and when?

Melmore would tie in nicely with Alain and Dingbat, who are up this way in October:

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=3351

Anybody and everybody welcome, I say. :D