Dunlaoighre Boat Trip

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

Dunlaoighre Boat Trip

Postby smcshane » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi all,

Just throwing this out there at the moment to see if this is even of interest to anybody..
I have an oppurtunity to hire a boat in Dunlaoighre for harbour fishing.
Its a Merry Fisher 605. It can take up to 7 people fishing but would rather it be 4/5 for comfort.
This is something that I will be skippering myself .
Would anybody be interested in sharing costs with me?
This is not an excercise to make money but just to see if there are a few hardcore anglers interested in a weekly boat trip either on a Saturday or Sunday.

Regular boat angling trips for those who have no boat & at a fraction of the cost of a charter.
smcshane
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Dunlaoighre Boat Trip

Postby Stephen8wood » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi,

Sounds interesting, can you pm the details. There would be myself and another interested.

welcome to the site by the way.

Stephen
List 2010. fish

List 2011: less fish

2012: less fish again,

2013: even less fish.
Stephen8wood
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby Mohawk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:30 pm

smcshane wrote:
Regular boat angling trips for those who have no boat & at a fraction of the cost of a charter.

Wonder do you know that offering an unlicensed passenger boat to anglers for reward in Ireland is a very serious criminal offence :evil:
“Travel, Stay, Fish & Play”
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby MikeQ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Mohawk wrote:
smcshane wrote:

Wonder do you know that offering an unlicensed passenger boat to anglers for reward in Ireland is a very serious criminal offence :evil:

Open your eyes and read the damn post.

"Would anybody be interested in SHARING COSTS WITH ME?
THIS IS NOT AN EXERCISE TO MAKE MONEY but just to see if there are a few hardcore anglers interested in a weekly boat trip"
Ah yes, 1974, The Cod Wars. I hated Cod so of course I signed up straight away.
MikeQ
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Al and Jordan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 am

hi man that's only 2 hours down the road from us :P when were you thinking about going out and what would the cost be??? and don't be bothered or put off by anyone trying scare tactics on you man. it's either some charter skipper worried your gonna steal his trade or concerned about the legalities of insurance. but it's just a few friends willing to split costs so never worry man :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: same sort of people would'nt let their kids play on swings for fear of them getting hurt :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: p.m. me if necessary as me and my son would be interested mate, so that would be 2 spaces sorted for you :D
many thanks,
Al.
Al and Jordan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 415 times

Postby Mohawk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm

MikeQ wrote:
Mohawk wrote:
smcshane wrote:

Open your eyes and read the damn post.

"Would anybody be interested in SHARING COSTS WITH ME?
THIS IS NOT AN EXERCISE TO MAKE MONEY but just to see if there are a few hardcore anglers interested in a weekly boat trip"

Sorry to correct you but he is offering to the public a boat place to 5 to 7 anglers "at a fraction of the cost of a charter" this my friend in the eyes of the law is illegal as he is requesting money therefore he is offering the services of this boat for reward there is no disguising this fact!

Is this boat a current licensed passenger boat? is he qualified to operate the vessel with paying passengers? Also are the "paying" passengers insured to travel on this vessel?

So may I quote you right back here "Open your eyes and read the damn post" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby smcshane » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
I am meeting the chap who owns the boat tomorrow so will be able to give exact cost over the weekend or Monday at the latest.

"Sorry to correct you but he is offering to the public a boat place to 5 to 7 anglers "at a fraction of the cost of a charter" this my friend in the eyes of the law is illegal as he is requesting money therefore he is offering the services of this boat for reward there is no disguising this fact!
Is this boat a current licensed passenger boat? is he qualified to operate the vessel with paying passengers? Also are the "paying" passengers insured to travel on this vessel?
So may I quote you right back here "Open your eyes and read the damn post" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Just to answer this posting : I am not doing this to make money or for a reward. I am not trying to move in on anyone’s turf. I cannot afford my own boat at present but do know where there is a boat not used at the weekends. I am not looking to charge on a per passenger ratio or any sort of services offered. I am simply trying to go out for a regulars days fishing & share the exact cost of the boat with everyone else. I will also be a paying passenger who is in fact also skippering the boat.

Mohawk I do acknowledge your view & fully understand what it is you are saying. You are quite right to say what you believe to be true after all this is a forum which allows everyone to speak their minds.
However whatever the agreeable fee is for hiring the boat will be distributed evenly amongst everyone on a non profit basis. I just want a day out fishing on a boat without paying through the roof.

I understand this section to be Meets, Buddy’s & Seats & this is why I have posted this here.
This in my opinion will be a bunch of buddies’ like an informal angling club getting together on a regular basis for a bit of fishing.
It is not my intention to do anything illegal because I am a family man & would never put myself in a position like that.
Also I do beleive this boat is insured & covered for public liability & personal injury but will confirm this for definite when I get more details.

I would like to add that if this is subject to the negotiation I do tomorrow & I am only throwing this out there at the moment.
smcshane
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimC » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Firstly, Smcshane: Welcome to the site – a strange/controversial first post you’ve made! :D

Just to clarify here, correct me if I am wrong: You are planning to hire a boat from a third party and are looking for buddies to fish with you and share the costs! If so, perfect.

To offer your services to fee paying passengers would in fact be illegal unless you are suitably qualified and the boat is suitably licenced (and I would imagine insured).

I think that is where Mowhawk is coming from (again correct me if I am wrong,) and in this he is 100%.

To be fair I think that the opening post may be a little confusing as to the plans.

The law is a strange beast and it is always difficult to determine whether the “orgainser/hirer” has a “duty of care” to the participants. As would be normal in these cases, it is only when something goes seriously wrong that the liability is sorted, usually to the “law of deepest pockets”.

As it is your first post, people may not be familiar with your fishing/boating experience. It might be no harm to give the lads a bit more info about yourself and your fishing before they commit to meeting up or heading out into the wild (and sometime dangerous) blue yonder.
Best of luck!
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby brianbru » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

it did come across a bit different than actually what you meant... basically its the very same as you hiring a boat from say bullach or the bellavista and you just want to keep the cost down and with the possibility of meeting a couple of like minded anglers!!

there has been similar post regarding people renting boats from bullach.
"i always find the fish"
brianbru
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:40 pm

brianbru wrote:basically its the very same as you hiring a boat from say bullach or the bellavista there has been similar post regarding people renting boats from bullach.

the hire boats from bulloch and bellavista would have hire boat insurance to cover them.
this sounds like someone has a 605 on the marina and he cant meet the costs (any thing towards it better than nothing) approach so he is willing to hire it out without a hire boat insurance policy does the hiring skipper have a DOT passenger licence i think not.
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:46 pm

From D.O.T

Under the Merchant Shipping Act 1992 all passenger boats carrying up to twelve passengers for reward are required to hold a valid passenger boat licence. The Merchant Shipping (Passenger Boat) Regulations were introduced in June 2002 under section 18 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1992, as amended. These Regulations require all passenger boats to comply with the safety requirements applicable to their class of vessel as set out in these Regulations.

To obtain a passenger boat licence the boat must be surveyed by one of our marine surveyors who must certify that the vessel complies with the Regulations.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JimC » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:30 pm

That is all true but there is nothing wrong with a couple of guys going fishing and contributing to the cost of fuel. That is going on everywhere around the country.

Now if I charge you a fee for going out in my boat am I running a business or going fishing with a few buddies?
JimC

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Jim from Cork wrote:That is all true but there is nothing wrong with a couple of guys going fishing and contributing to the cost of fuel. That is going on everywhere around the country.

Now if I charge you a fee for going out in my boat am I running a business or going fishing with a few buddies?

im like you jim but i dont charge a fee :shock: but i do accept a donation towards fuel :wink: i never mention the fact that iv spent a fortune on boat and a jeep to pull it so its the least i can expect :lol: :lol:

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby brianbru » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm

id agree on what your sayin john but is this boat genuinely for rent or is it just some guy chancing his arm??
"i always find the fish"
brianbru
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimC » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Yes a contribution towards fuel is the done thing.
I have heard of a privateer who is operating as an unlicenced charter, charging a fee and keeping the majority of the catch to sell afterwards. :evil: All done as fishing with buddies. As I say there is a fine line to it: running a business or fishing with friends.
JimC

Postby Mohawk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Welcome to SAI Smcshane :wink:

I'm sure you now understand from reading the replies above how your first post on the site caused alarm bells to ring, what alarmed me even more was how a few people were ready and willing to join the crew without knowing or even asking anything about you or the boat or the hire or insurance arrangements.

As jim mentioned above there are rouge operators out there, as a mater of fact Jim I know of at least 3 of them we both see regularly :evil: :wink:

If something were to go wrong on this proposed trip you need to be very careful because some of anglers you thought were your friends may well turn out to take the shirt from your back so you need to know what the insurance covers and what it doesn't. You also need to find out is the boat insured if the owner has hired it to another party you may well find it's not.
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby brianbru » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:53 pm

hi Smcshane,

do you know if that boat is on the marina? i'd be fairly familiar with most of the angling boats on the marina.
there are a few 605's that have berths but to be honest i have never seen a boat for rent you would definitely notice it and of course word would get around that there is such a thing.
"i always find the fish"
brianbru
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JOHN1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 pm

brianbru wrote:hi Smcshane,

do you know if that boat is on the marina? i'd be fairly familiar with most of the angling boats on the marina.
there are a few 605's that have berths but to be honest i have never seen a boat for rent you would definitely notice it and of course word would get around that there is such a thing.

it sounds like he knows or has been introduced the guy who owns the boat and its only available to himself, it dont look like bulloch or bellavista situation where you ring and book.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby twinkle » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:36 pm

i think the problem is s mc shane does not own this vessel and is renting it the owner of the boat does not have a licence to rent so its like mohawk says this is a fella taking a flyer. he is putting the boat for hire with no insurance because he cant have insurance with out a charter licence if he had a charter lincence he would not be renting the boat out too a third party a very dodgey arrangment if you ask me mr mc shane would have to be very carefull it will only take one person to slip on board hurt there back and he might find himself defending a personal injury claim in the high courts
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby JOHN1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:07 pm

things all quiet now. i found his offer of a cheap :shock: day out on another forum i think he is gone in the head full charter prices by the looks of it :lol: :lol: :lol: you would charter a boat in kilmore for what he is looking for and you would get a few fish down there :wink:

Price would depend on the amount of people interested.

Boat would be let to me & costs divided between us.
More people less to pay.
Guranteed to be a cheap day out & good craic.

I'm just throwing this out there at the moment. I am meeting the chap who has the boat at the weekend to finalise deal.

All I want out of this is a regular fishing trip that does not cost the world.

I estimate no more than €50 -€55 per head for 4- 6 hrs fishing. less than a €10 an hour.

Like I said I will have full price details after the weekend.
Just looking to see if this is even possible

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Next

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats