Re: seats specimen whitefish trip Union Hall fri 31th July

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 pm

have a shakespear 20/30lb rod,have 2 multi reels 1 okuma sea ray 20lb and 1 tidewater 30lb,have been on boats fishing b4 but only charter where they provided all the gear and bait. will get the braided line and hopefully have them ready. ty bud.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 am

Pretty much everything covered there JW. Braid is mandatory for this stuff lads, you will break your heart fishing mono. There is no feel at that depth and before you even realise, your lead will be stuck fast in the wreck.

Enjoy lads, should be a cracker.

JW, if you get any late cancellations, give me a call.

Kev

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am

The main thing is to get a 300 meter spool of powerpro braid

Hey jw, how deep these wrecks are?

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 am

From memory, some at around 109 meters. 300m is loads, means even if you have a problem and break off you
can still keep fishing.

The other thing is that colin might anchor up for a while allowing bait fishing for ling and conger using a heavy
mono trace and a size 10/0 hook baited with mackerel. If you hook a really big eel a 30lb/50lb rod will give
you the best chance of getting it away from the wreck.

Many people are more expert than me on these matters, please post advice here

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 pm

For Ling guys, place a luminious muppet over your hook. :wink:

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Just a few more thoughts around tackle for this trip. I’m thinking about using 20 lb braid as opposed to 30lb/40lb as suggested. Usually I’m using 30lb since using the same reel for pike fishing. 30lb is mostly for retrieving lure from snags. Since (I’m assuming) brute force retrieval from snags is non runner in this case – I think that going to thinner 20lb braid may be beneficial. It will cut through tide easier and more can be fit on spool. Especially when you going to use 20lb class rod – 30lb braid seems no benefit.

Please post if you agree/disagree

Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Tomaszek wrote:Just a few more thoughts around tackle for this trip. I’m thinking about using 20 lb braid as opposed to 30lb/40lb as suggested. Usually I’m using 30lb since using the same reel for pike fishing. 30lb is mostly for retrieving lure from snags. Since (I’m assuming) brute force retrieval from snags is non runner in this case – I think that going to thinner 20lb braid may be beneficial. It will cut through tide easier and more can be fit on spool. Especially when you going to use 20lb class rod – 30lb braid seems no benefit.

Please post if you agree/disagree

Im going to use 40-50 lb braid i think 20lb would be too light and if you do pull to break you could loose half your braid :shock: this is just my thought im no expert

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm no expert, but I reckon that 30lb fireline is the optimum braid to use drifting on the wrecks for a combination of strength and thinness, I usually marry that to 20' of 60 to 80lb clear mono leader and have never had the braid snap on a fish or the wreck, the leader will always pop 1st, and even with 30lb you will still get away with 10-12oz of lead.
By all means use heavier braid on a heavier reel if you are going to anchor up for conger or ling, but not drifting as if you snag you will have a hell of a job breaking it out.
20lb braid is fine for pollack and coalies when you are retrieving relatively fast with jellys, shads etc, but it is too light if you are hopping for cod, or fishing ling on the drift.
Just my 2c worth.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm

I reckon 20lb braid is too light for this type of fishing,30lb min and maybe even 50 as suggested by some of the lads,Ive seen spools of Fireline and spiderwire advertised on some of the mail order sites for 18 Stg which is far cheaper than anything Ive been able to source locally,as mentioned 5 inch shads work well especially in blue and orange,cod especially seem to like orange lures,Ive used 4 or five different brands of braid and have found fireline to be about the strongest,some of the others break very easily in contact with rocks or a wreck,finally some of the new sand eel type lures would be worth trying.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

30lb Braid is perfect. I think 20lb might be too light. 150 Meters should do you, but I would put at least 200 Meters on, just in case you have to pull for a break or two. You might already have 150 Meters of 30lb braid on your Pike Reel. Just borrow it for the day :wink: You should be fishing a lager wire boom of 10 - 15 inches. If you attach your lead to the boom via a weak link (some plant wire is perfect) you should only loose your lead shoud you get stuck. Also, if you use 30lb flurocarbon as the snood lenght, this should break first if your shad gets stuck.

Fishing this way, you should get away with 150 - 200 Meters of Braid. Just remember to back your spool up with some mono to get the best out of the fast retrieve.

Last time we tried this I used a 12lb class Rod coupled with a Penn 525 full of 30lb braid. I had only one shad lost all day and a few leads were lost via the weak link system. The rod was too light for the Conger fishing, but I didn't get any, but was great craic for the Pollock and Coalies. It was doubled over for pretty much any fish. With those big cod around, you might want a 15 - 20lb rod or a 20- 30lb rod would be a perfect single rod for the day.

Kev

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
You might already have 150 Meters of 30lb braid on your Pike Reel.

MAC that is exactly what I’m intending to do. In fact I'm always using the same reel for pike and reef fishing :) I will use 25lb rod and perhaps other one 40-50lb class (for those big congers ;) )

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

i reckon i will ned lots of help guys,sorry but i had to go down to my local fishing shop and ask him what a shad was :( so please dont be annoyed if i have to ask loads of questions,sorry in advance guys,also i found this site with pics of what a lure is,hope its right if so i will have a few ready:) also have some 30lb braid ordered for the trip.

http://www.sussexseafishing.co.uk/24.html

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:33 pm

peter97 wrote:i reckon i will ned lots of help guys,sorry but i had to go down to my local fishing shop and ask him what a shad was :( so please dont be annoyed if i have to ask loads of questions,sorry in advance guys,also i found this site with pics of what a lure is,hope its right if so i will have a few ready:) also have some 30lb braid ordered for the trip.

http://www.sussexseafishing.co.uk/24.html

Shads is all you would need for wreck fishing here is a photo of what they look like get some 10/0 or 12/0 hooks for the congers also some 200lb line around 10 meters or so, also some 60lb line for the shads some feathers for the macs,some good stong booms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 pm

some feathers for the macs,some good stong booms,erm macs and booms?

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm

sorry tony m8,i was tryin to see what size the shads were,loads of different 1s on ebay.

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:25 pm

ok just got these booms hope there ok http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VI ... 0357359520

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

hi Peter,

you'll have no problem if you listen to advice - what really bugs skippers is lads who
have only been fishing once or twice and think they know better than the people who
do it every day and end up ruining the fishing for everyone.

macs refers to mackerel a common fish which will grab any small lure and are
by far the best bait, not to be confused with mac who posts on the site

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 pm

ty jw,trust me if theres 1 fella on the boat who doesnt know everything its me,we have 2 weeks to go so just want to be as ready as i can and enjoy the day, and hopefully not be too annoying with questions:)

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Peter iv only been on a boat once before im no expert but everything iv learned is from asking questions and people helping me so dont be worrying

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 pm

thanks tony bud,btw what size shad do i need or just a few different 1s?