Mayo meet!

Looking to organise an infomal meet?
Got a spare seat available on a boat...

Moderators: corbyeire, jw, saltydog

Mayo meet!

Postby kieran » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi

God I'm gonna be popular with this... the kids are being packed off to two parades and I am being given a free day, well probably a half day on Paddy's day to go fishing! The ankle is now back on the mend so I am keen to get out there, had a fabulous day's fishing in Belmullet for pollack and coalies on a rock mark the same day two yearts ago and reckon I might try it again but not a place to go on your own.

Weather is critical as it has to be calm. The alternative is a nice beach, maybe an early mackerel off Keem on Achill and a shot at flatties?

Any takers...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby fishinmidget » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:59 pm

I would be up for it.....can anyone give me a lift up? :lol: :?
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby pete » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:22 pm

Down in Kilmore the weekend but we'll have to get a trip(full weekend) organised for Belmullet soon Kieran :wink:
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
Fresh Water (2) brown trout, sea trout
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Belmullet

Postby kieran » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:18 am

Ah indeed and I have two new marks as well - evil grin!

Look at the weather for Paddy's weekend, its rain and 50-60 kph from W and moving to NW so not looking too pleasant.

NW is a bugger of a wind in Mayo... the only spot I can think of is Ballyglass in Belmullet, pier or lighthouse or the beach...

I was considering Porturlin or even Portnacloy if I can get out to dig some fresh lug... there is a good bait area near Stonefield not far away...

Need to check this tides too...
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

not a report really...

Postby kieran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:27 am

Well

Drove to Achill in low clouds to watch the forecast 18 foot breakers on Keel beach and the not-as-brave-as-i-thought-i was (i.e. sane) surfers huddled around the 4x4s... watched the match in the pub with dinner and then decied to try Keem Bay given it would be sheltered from the wind and the waves... which it was, the breakers here were only 9 foot high.

For the record, the breakers were up to 10 metres (!) on the Sunday...

For reasons best known to insane surfers, I tackled up and chucked some 6 oz grippers in, to watch them get swept up and down the beach like they were attached to a boy racer. Reckon if there was a fish out there, the damn leads were outpacing the fish...

I gave up after half an hour but not before I witnessed four people decide to have a swim - four ran in, three ran out, one dies of hypothermia! :shock:

Packed up and headed for Mulranny... quick coffee to knock the icicles off my fingers and drove down to the pier. Half tide by now, decided to fish my only 7 oz watch lead with one big bait out past the pier end... which it to say it fished under the pier having been swept round the corner by the waves and incoming tide. Saw more brave souls on the beach opposite walking amid the hailstones and incoming spray off the tide.

Tried this for half an hour but when a wave came over the pier wall (and I don't mean spray, I mean the wave) and washed most of the bait it, I decided it was time to go home....

Technically a double blank, although I think I get points deduced for clear evidence of insanity! :wink:
Kieran Hanrahan

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Re: not a report really...

Postby corbyeire » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 pm

kieran wrote:I gave up after half an hour but not before I witnessed four people decide to have a swim - four ran in, three ran out, one dies of hypothermia! :shock:

died - seriously :shock:
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby pete » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Kieran I'm down on Mask for the usual Easter week, maybe if the weather is anyway sane we could head out to the Mullet?
Sea Species(25) bass, codling, whiting, turbot, seatrout, stingray, pollock, coalfish, longspine scorpion, ballan wrasse, dogfish, ling, pouting, poor cod, dab, mackerel, smelt, sandeel, launce, bull huss, painted ray, thick lip mullet, golden grey mullet, rock goby.
Fresh Water (2) brown trout, sea trout
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby kieran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:03 pm

corbyeire wrote:
kieran wrote:I gave up after half an hour but not before I witnessed four people decide to have a swim - four ran in, three ran out, one dies of hypothermia! :shock:

died - seriously :shock:

No, but took on a nice blue tinge with the odd orange spot... :wink: TBH, anyone going for a swim in that size of breaker in hailstones in minus whatever with the wind chill deserved either a medal or institutionalisation for their own protection!

Peter... be up for that, drop me a PM or text closer to the dates...
Kieran Hanrahan

kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Bradan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:29 pm

kieran wrote:
No, but took on a nice blue tinge with the odd orange spot... :wink:

Sounds like he went in looking like a whiting and came out like a cuckoo wrasse....... :lol:

I might be around that week too lads, if I'm free wouldn't mind joining ye, and might even show McGroary how to catch trout too..... :P
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Donagh » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 am

I believe your always going to have one nightmare a session in the year so its good to get it over and done with at the start of the year. After a session like that all the bad luck was used up in one go.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Return to Meets, Buddys & Seats