Re: admissible species!

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:55 pm

kieran wrote:Hi

As fascinating as it is seeing all these mini species appear - and I am sure some marine biologist out there will find the final list very useful - we will have to put some reasonable limit of what is acceptable in terms of size.

I suppose we could discuss the rules for 2008 in December -it is a bit late to change this years now :)

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:26 am

I say "Well done anyone who puts the time and effort in to adapt their tactics to catch the mini species".After all the freshwater competition men spend their lives catching and making plenty of money from tiny Roach ,Rudd and Perch etc.
So well done Davy.
Thats just my two pence worth.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 am

shockleader50 wrote:I say "Well done anyone who puts the time and effort in to adapt their tactics to catch the mini species".After all the freshwater competition men spend their lives catching and making plenty of money from tiny Roach ,Rudd and Perch etc.
So well done Davy.
i personally like to see as many different species caught from the sea as possible and get as much pleasure catching a new species be it a 2 inch goby or a larger fish hopefully the species hunt will grow with a lot more anglers entering next year the one change i would like to see is a shore/boat section not all anglers fish boats and vice versa :arrow:

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:57 am

alannelson wrote:
shockleader50 wrote:I say "Well done anyone who puts the time and effort in to adapt their tactics to catch the mini species".After all the freshwater competition men spend their lives catching and making plenty of money from tiny Roach ,Rudd and Perch etc.
So well done Davy.
i personally like to see as many different species caught from the sea as possible and get as much pleasure catching a new species be it a 2 inch goby or a larger fish hopefully the species hunt will grow with a lot more anglers entering next year the one change i would like to see is a shore/boat section not all anglers fish boats and vice versa :arrow:

I agree 100% shore and boat should be separated...good idea Alan.

Tom.

Re: sand goby for species hunt

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:30 am

Davy Murdoch wrote:caught two of these tiny little fish(on purpose) yesterday 10-8-07 down at my favourite mullet mark, using mackerel on a size 16 hook.I know its sad but it was a new species so i was chuffed :D.

I know you love catching "mini species" but are these "micro species"??? :P

species hunt

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi,
whilst fishing for shark today in cork, i managed to catch a megrim, caught on ron thompson flasher rig with strip mackerel bait
regards
screeming

ps no shark though!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:28 pm

Blue Shark Caargaholt to whole mackeral
Garfish Carrigaholt to free lined mackeral strip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:55 am

Tub gurnard. early august. Castletown wexford. Caught on rag.
[img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z77/davybrown99/21072007002.jpg[/img]

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 am

I'm going to split off the rule discussions etc to a different thread later..
jd

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:03 am

blue shark 8 miles nw loop head caught on a mackerel bait

species hunt.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 am

Hi , One for the judges here, forgot that this was a species hunt shore or boat.
Question is,
Is a twaite Shad a counting species if it spends most of its time in the sea, and was caught at the tidel stretch of st mullins!
If so see attched
regards
screeming

Twaite shad

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:02 am

hi, forgot to add, was caught in may 2007, using 5lb floro line and a silver tasmanian devil. had 6 that evening, never had fished for them before, what a great sport fish, lots of jumping, ( and throwing the hooks)
regards
screeming

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:36 am

it counts

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:50 pm

A scad taken today from a north doneagal rock mark on rag and mackerel fished on a 3 hook flapper rig meant for flatties .

species hunt

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 am

hi,
caught this small eyed /painted ray, off metalman in waterford using flowing trace , size 2 hooks, and small mackeral strips.
regards
screeming

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:41 pm

tub gurnard,

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:49 pm

rock goby caught on a free lined maddie of a rock mark on a size 6 hook

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Another new species for the year for me, a butter fish nabbed the ragworm tail intended for rock cook wrasse (I've been trying for them for ages )with no joy but more than happy with this fella even if it was accidental . slimy wee buggers though ,fishing the front of bangor pier due to the wind .

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:21 pm

aren't they called a gunnel as well, Ronald, not too sure, found them rock pools many a time hunting for peeler and managed to catch one the day i hooked the goby but my phone ran out of battery.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:44 pm

Yeah gunnel is another name for them , I've only ever seen tiny ones before but this one was close to 7 inches long ,still small I know but for the type of fish its big and its a new species for me so I'm well chuffed .