competition discussion and banter

Species' Hunts and other Web Site Competitions

Moderators: stevecrow74, Rampent Wreckfish

Postby eric » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:19 pm

point scores should be sorted soon, steve has been warned before :lol: :lol: think he needs a time out :lol:

nice place btw ronald
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm

eric wrote:point scores should be sorted soon, steve has been warned before :lol: :lol: think he needs a time out :lol:

nice place btw ronald

:lol: :lol: thats why your here.. to keep an eye on the scores.. have amended them, been busy with non fishin stuff lately (going nuts due to lack of fishing as well)

will have proper scores up in an hour or two, going to do a re calculation of them all just to be sure (having dinner first) :wink:
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby stevecrow74 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:19 pm

updated boat scores :shock: :shock:
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby Last Cast » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 am

While looking over the scores of the shore hunt last night I noticed a few errors.On the 4/1/08 barry murphy submitted a poor cod,the 2nd to be caught in the competition and he was awarded 10 points for a pouting.This would mean that JOHN1 who added a poor cod to the list on 7/1/08 should be awarded 5 points as this was the 3rd poor cod to be caught.This would prevent stevecrow74 from claiming his 5 points for his fish on 10/1/08.Ronald
received 5 points for a pouting in the 4/2/08 but was in fact the 2nd person to submit a photo of a pouting and should receive 10 points instead.This leaves pouting with one fish for 5 points to be claimed still.And last of all alannelson still has points for a mullet but no photo.I would like someone to double check what I have found just to be sure.
Last Cast
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:04 am

some fish were not given points due to one reason or another, i'll go over the points again at a later date...

also sometimes when shuffling the points around some entries don't move :evil: but i usually try and keep them up to date (when i have time to)

below is what i currently have listed
Attachments
shore081.jpg
shore081.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
Last edited by stevecrow74 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 am

the mullet was amended a while ago, just that the updated scores were not posted to reflect this :wink:

after a review of points, barry murphy was given points for a pouting instead of poorcod :oops: :oops:

points now reflect this and has left an opening of 5 points for pouting.. :shock:
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby Mr_Green » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 pm

your pics are the wrong way about, the bottom is corkwing
Mr_Green

Postby Ronald » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:04 pm

last cast has 2 corkwing wrasse ,top female and bottom male ,not a ballan . nicely marked wee fish though ,good for comparisons of species .
If someone shows you a mark to fish, respect it and dont pass it of as one of your own, dont tell every man and his dog about it.
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Ronald » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 pm

barrys blennies ,are they yarrels or tompot ? they look more goby like from the photos though hard to tell variety rock,black,painted ,bit big for either sand or common !
yarrels goby has a longer slimmer body than the tompot ,it also has a fleshy bit on the first spine of the dorsal fin .
the tompot is shorter and stumpier in the body a bit like a shanny shape except it has wee eye brows :lol:
If someone shows you a mark to fish, respect it and dont pass it of as one of your own, dont tell every man and his dog about it.
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Ronald wrote:barrys blennies ,are they yarrels or tompot ? they look more goby like from the photos though hard to tell variety rock,black,painted ,bit big for either sand or common !
yarrels goby has a longer slimmer body than the tompot ,it also has a fleshy bit on the first spine of the dorsal fin .
the tompot is shorter and stumpier in the body a bit like a shanny shape except it has wee eye brows :lol:

i left the point free for a long enough timem while i tried figure out what type they were, definitely not sand or common... dont look like tompot either, very possible yarrels...

still debating whether to leave awarded points, as rules state a clear photo of fish for identification for points to be awarded (eric... what you think??)
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby Last Cast » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for pointing that out to me Ronald.To be honest I looked at the colour and the deep body of the fish and thought it was a Ballan.I used the Cfb fish identification guide to see if I had a corkwing before I posted.I can see the difference between the two now, is there an easy way to tell the difference between the two with out the help of a guide?I had 4 wrasse yesterday and by the look of them they all seem to be corkwing.All of the fish had very different coloration.Whats the best way to tell the difference between the male and female wrasse apart from their coloration?
Cheers for the update Steve.
Last Cast
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby Ronald » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:24 pm

I would normaly go by the head / body shape for the corkwing compared to ballan as the dark spot on the wrist of the tail and behind the eye is not always visible plus there are small serations on the edge of the operculum on the gill cover,also if you hold the dorsal of the corkwing up to the light you can normaly some darker spots along it where it leads down to faint barring on the body .
some people get corkwings mixed up with rock cook wrasse as well ,but corkwings have a pretty distint head shape with their blunt head as opposed to the longer snout of the ballan /cuckoo .
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 pm

macker2: do you have a better pick of that last fish you posted????

the rough patch at the beginning of the lateral line makes me think it could be a flounder :wink:
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby eric » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 pm

yep im inclined to flounder too, though i cant be sure, however i could be very wrong, the fish was signed by two good anglers during the comp yesterday i fell it should be awarded on that basis, although another pic would help.

as regards to the blennies, they are not im sure they are rock gobies, heres one i got last year
Attachments
Picture 033.jpg
Picture 033.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Postby eric » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm

award macker the points for the plaice, theres a pic in his album of the same fish, deffo a plaice :D
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
eric
SAI Megalodon!

cork/ballan

Postby alannelson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Take it what i thought was a ballan turns out to be a corkwing. Only reading this thread now just looked at the one above me and saw it looked like mine. :roll:
species shore 2012 ]codling/whiting
Founder member
Team Redwolf

alannelson
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby macker2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:29 pm

sorry lads about nt gething back 2 u in time.only signed on 2night to check wats up.
species of 09:

target 40
macker2
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 pm

ok hard decision to make, but sorry barry, due to inability to correctly identify the fish from the photo the points will be revoked :(

jack01986, can you confirm that it is a starry smoothound and not a common smoothie
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:54 pm

cork wing or ballan??? i'm inclined to think its a cork wing
[img]http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/album_mod/upload/ballen_wrasse_08_r_146.jpg[/img]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Postby jack01986 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:54 pm

Im not sure I thought it might have been a starry after looking at the photo this morning. I fairly sure it is a starry.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

PreviousNext

Return to Site Species' Hunts and Competitions