new camera - nikon d5000

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi lads,

I'm lookin to buy a new, pretty decent camera, and it's an area i know next to nothin about.
A friend who's into photography has recommended the nikon d5000. I've done a bit of the usual research on the net and have found pretty positive reviews, but before i take the plunge i was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations.
The camera wouild be used for the usual stuff, shots of fish, and scenery/landscape shots.

Could anyone recommend a good camera (and lens) suitable for this sort of photography? My budget is 700euro max.

Cheers,
Patrick.

Re: new camera - nikon d5000

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:14 pm

I was looking at the D5000 a while back but opted for the D90 instead. One of the reasons I didn't go for the D5000 was that it dosen't have an autofocus motor in the camera so if you want autofocus to work you will need AF-S lenses which can be slightly more expensive than the AF versions.

Don't think I'd take either fishying mind. :D

The other thing I would say is don't just get it because your mate has recomended it. Call into a few camera shops and play with a load of cameras to see what YOU find comfortable. Once you have found a few you like the feel of then check out a few reviews to see how they compare. Best to put a good bit of time into deciding what you want/need rather than rushing in and buying something you may regret (for whatever reason) later.

Hope this is of some help.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:04 pm

If you can afford it go with Jonnys D90 I had a play with one and they are a great wee camera
Don't rule out the second hand market either as camera owners do look after their gear
A decent nikon D200 can be got for buttons

I'm a nikon man myself but most makes are great just get something that feels right
You can get superb compact cameras which have all the manual settings like the dslr's
A canon s 90 is a super compact camera and is on my wish list for my fishing camera as the dslr can be a bit big to fit in the seat box at times with all the other gear

get a wee run over to www.photographyireland.net and have a look through the forums there is loads of great info to be had on there

Cathal

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

two considerations 1 sand 2 water
although i love taking pictures no way would i bring my good camera fishing ,its too big for starters,a good compact is easy to keep dry inside your clothing ,during the summer when i fish alot lighter i may start bringing it but i,ll be finding a waterproof bag first :lol:
as for what camera thats about as hard as asking what rod !

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I picked up a Nikon D50 on Ebay for a song a couple of years ago. Whilst it was launched in 2005 and has only 6 megapixel which seems puny in this day and age it's the camera I use for all my Irish Angler features and the quality, even when blown up to glossy double page spreads in the magazine is superb. I paid 180 stg for it with 3 AF lenses, numerous batteries, tripod, bag etc. Yes, sand and water are a pain, however, dragging this around boat and shore over the past year or two hasnt affected it one bit. (well, the bag and strap smell a bit funky....!) For the money I paid if it took a hop over the side of the boat it wouldnt be the end of the world. Worth taking a look online, always bargains to be had.