Canon EOS 450D slr..?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Been humming and hawing a while bout getting a good DSLR.
has anyone got any info good or bad about the afore mentioned camera??

Will consider other makes/models within the same price range, if the specs are better!

Re: Canon EOS 450D slr..?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Got the 1000D with an 18-55 and 75-300 lens and can't fault it, easy to use good 10 mega
pix quality, so the 450D should be better again

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Can't go wrong with a Canon (I should be in advertising!) or a Nikon, market leaders, make bloody good cameras. The 450D is excellent quality and has more than enough features for the hobbyist, only a pro would be quibbling about features its missing. If you're going to invest in a SLR its as good as any in that price range. Try spend as much as you can on good lenses though - quality glass will make your photos more than the camera body will.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Great camera. Got one 3 months ago. The pics are of a really high quality. It is worth shopping around. You can save a lot of cash. I got mine from pixmania.com Harvey Norman had a special about 6 weeks ago.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 am

I have been using my 350D since late 2006 and it still is doing great. 450D has a much greater specs and will be great for you as a hobbyist. It will have all the features you would need. If it would be cheaper to get it without the kit lens then buy it without the kit lens and get a walkaround lens. If you are a bit short in budget for the lens I would suggest getting a AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro . You can get it for around 450 euros in eBay including shipment on a new one. The equivalent of this same lens on Canon would be more than 1K Euros. This type of lens will be good for a Macro shot (close up on taking pics of your catch) and Telephoto (long range good for taking pictures on squirrels and animals which you could hardly get close to and want to take pictures) it also has good Vibration Compensation to avoid blur when your hand is shaking. This type of lens prevents you from changing lenses between macro, short range and telephoto. Thus preventing dust from getting in your camera. I am not that expert in camera but knows a bit about them which could help you start and your investment be usefull for a long time.

Let me know if you have more questions. I hate to say this but it is expensive to buy a camera and its accessories in ireland even if the shops are giving out deals.

:)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:29 pm

thanks lads.. to be honest I definitely wont be takin pics of any fish i catch with it.. i have a 6Mp underwater camera for all that stuff..

the main use I'd be using it for is suck like what I have in my gallery on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 6bf4fbe369
just general out and about shots, but quality of picture detail and the advantage of SLR is definitely required
and I've used non digital canon EOS SLR before hence why I'm looking towards the 450D...

keep the info coming.. especially if you know where to get one cheap :P :P

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 pm

have the 400d and im very happy with it.im sure the 450 will do canon EOS range proud

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:58 am

if you know some one going abroad print out the details for them and ask them to have a look and see what price they are and if you are happy let them pick one up for you

i went to hong kong and got a canon video camera with a load of accessories for 400 euros and came home and priced it here everything came to 957 euro,saved 557 euro which nearly paid for the flight which was 612 euro at the time,second time i went i got a sony digital camera 100 euro cheaper the the older model here

you might save a bit of money on it if you are not in a hurry and can wait until some one is going on holidays

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Yeah 450 is very good amateur gear. I personally prefer a Nikon stuff, but few times happened, that I borrowed my friend's Canon. Quality of pics taken, light weight, easy in use -compares to price, are very good. He bought it in Argos Newry. Saved more like 100 euros compares to ROI.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:45 pm

I have the Nikon D60. I was hyming and ha-ing about the 450d, but i just tossed a coin and went down the Nikon range.
I was like yourself. I bought the camera mainly to take decent picture of the wee man because my pocket digi camera where just crap.
In saying that I still havent played it with it that much to do it justice, but for the likes of going to my mates weddings and family pictures DSLRs are awesome.
You wont regret getting one steve. Picture quality doesn't even compare between DSLR's and Compact digicameras.
good luck and happy snapping

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 am

should be ok. I have the 400D its predecessor and I use it for gig photography using a f1.8 50 mm lens which you can get for under a €100 on line no zoom so you have to 'zoom with your feet' this is a nice light lens so its good for lugging around.

on my own camera 1600iso is pretty noisey and the shots do not so great but some of that can be fixed in photoshop
800 iso is grand though and honestly the auto focus stops working at about those light levels anyway. have a look at the gig photos on my facebook account and you can see.

by the way drinking and expensive cameras do not mix. so be careful with it.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:58 am

I got the f1.8 50mm for my 400D as well to get some nice shots of the kids. Paid £65 in the UK last year and very impressed with the quality of the pics. Much better than the kit lens. Only needs a bit better quality from the photographer now :oops: