Cameras (split from gilthead thread)

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

Re: BREAM

Postby MAC » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:59 pm

Jim from Cork wrote:Kev,
That’s me trying to grips with a DSLR (Sony A100). There’s no flash used at all! There was lovely light that evening.

Yer getting the hang of it so.. :wink: Interesting choice for a DSLR... Do sony do their own glass? or do you use sigma lenses/

I use the Nikon D200 & D80 myself.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby RobertMcClean » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:23 pm

The D200 is a great Camera, same as myself Kev.
Thresher
Call Sign: EIDV5
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Cameras

Postby JimC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 am

Kev,
In answer to your earlier question about the Sony DSLR. Yes Sony do “their own glass” (I love the expression, I feel like a buff :D ) Sony bought out Konica/Minolta and the result was the Alpha 100. I’m told all K/M lenses are interchangeable as well. I was happy out using my Sony DSCP10 for all my pictures. I still use it for most pics on the boat.

I got an offer I couldn’t refuse from one of the lads who had recently purchased the A100 and was forced to change due to an unfortunate error in the purchase of a lens (he ended up having to buy a new body to suit the lens!!).

I wouldn’t say I was “into” photography but I do like to take a good picture, if you know what I mean. I’m afraid that I am only finding my way with the DSLR. I think as I go on I’ll get more into it but for now it’s nearly always on “auto”. Looking into a viewfinder can be tough on the boat! For sure you can get results that the compact wouldn’t produce.

What cameras are others using?
Maybe we should consider a photo forum?
Attachments
DSC01314 (Medium).JPG
DSC01314 (Medium).JPG (24.8 KiB) Viewed 963 times
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby dave armstrong » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:07 am

Would be interested in hearing more on the camera theme lads. Using a bog std point and shoot digital at the moment. Wouldnt mind upgrading to something that would be better at night and that had better ability to do justice to some of the amazing scenes we see while trailing around this fantastic coastline of ours. 8)
dave armstrong
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Bradan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 am

Super photo Jim - the only thing that could make it slightly better would be having the horizon level. Great colours though!

I'm using the D50, with 18-55 lens for most work, and also have 2 lenses from the F75 I had before (they're interchangeable), think its something like 20-70 and 80-300 for zoom work. Definitely notice much better quality photos with the DSLR, even on auto most of the time. Looking forward to getting more into photography though, and investing in a few lenses and filters to improve my range.
I've also got an Olympus 770 for fishing - completely waterproof (to 10m depth). Can even stick it underwater when releasing a fish and get underwater photo/video. Its definitely handy for those fishing days when its lashing rain, or when the DSLR is just too bulky...
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby donal domeney » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:36 am

Batteries down on my digitial at the moment so I'cant go into detail. Had an Olympus om40 SLR for years, to get great night shots I'd use ASA 400 film. Shot at a slow shutter it would produce great night shots without the flash.
I would never use less than ASA 200 for taking day time pics in Ireland because we never had bright sun light.
Most "bog standard digitials" will let you set the film type and speed. Down load the manual and you will find that these digitials are fairly use full.
The one fault with the bog standard digital is set in manual mode the shutter speed is too slow and the shot of a life time is gone before the pic is taken
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby paulocallaghan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 pm

is a disposable from a vending machine not as good?????????????
paulocallaghan

Postby JimC » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 pm

paulocallaghan wrote:is a disposable from a vending machine not as good?????????????

Is our countries defence in your hands? :D

Donal,
I wonder if what you are experiencing is “lag” (not sure what the experts would call it), meaning the time from when you press the button to when the photo is taken/saved? The difference between cameras can be huge. This “lag” being different from when the exposure would be long, say in darkness.

I had an older Sony compact, I then upgraded to a newer model. The difference in the speed from press to click was unreal on the newer camera. I think you might find that if your camera is older a new model may be faster.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Rockhopper » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Jim,

An interesting point for you "do they make their own glass" its because Fuji make their own glass that most quality rod have Fuji guides.

Fuji at one time made a synthetic material for the lens in a camera that was very hard wearing and very smooth...they capitalized on this material outside of photography and started making ring guides for weaving looms as the metal guides wore out quickly.....the weavers guides have the same function of fishing rod guides........there ya go :)

BTW....IMHO like me a lot of anglers own good quality cameras without knowing how to get the best from them......with more people fishing "catch, photograph and release....it may be a good idea to start a forum on SAI regarding fishing photography....just an idea.
Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby Bradan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:00 pm

paulocallaghan wrote:is a disposable from a vending machine not as good?????????????

Actually, disposable cameras can take surprisingly good photos. They generally use ASA800 film which helps, and are so simple that you cant mess up a shot by fiddling with settings. Downside is one times use, expense, and inv=convenience of getting folm developed.
Best photo I ever took was with a disposable - I was amazed how well it came out. Now if I could only find it again so I could get it framed! :D
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby lumpy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 pm

very interesting post. would it at least be possible to sticky it as a how to for those interested in photography. i know for one i would love to be able to take better quality pics while fishing but am unsure of basic settings etc...
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Dave Jolly » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 pm

I'm just starting to use my new Xmas pressie to myself, A Canon Eos 40D....
Lets open a photo forum.
World Champion Gold Medals are the new Black!!!
Dave Jolly
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby dave armstrong » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:23 am

Another vote for the photo forum here lads! 8)
dave armstrong
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Ill put it to the powers that be.... It has my vote anyhow. I still think we should have a monthly comp for the best photo too and have it on the homepage for a month. (fed up looking at Steves Smut..... :lol: )
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby lumpy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:47 pm

definately pete, i thought it was a good idea when you proposed it but unfortunately never happened
shore species 2008(25):dogfish(3.1lbs), bull huss (12lb 2oz), bass, shore rockling, coalie, whiting, pollack, conger (22.4lbs),flounder, thick lipped mullet (4.8lbs),turbot,ling (11.2lbs),ballan wrasse(4.5lbs), cuckoo wrasse, pouting, poor cod, cod (9.5lbs), dab, 3 bearded rockling, long spined scorpion fish, corkwing wrasse, plaice, trigger fish, sea trout, garfish

regards neil
lumpy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby cortaz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:57 pm

good idea, i get nearly the same buzz from looking at/taking the pics. as i do from the fishin.
What I said in public
"Bass, there future in your hands, support catch and release"
..but I'm a liar really
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45629
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:00 pm

if i remember rightly there used to be a monthly comp when i first started posting ( i even won one of them :D :D )

even if the forum doesnt go ahead(which is a good idea and should go ahead) we should bring back the monthly comp, we'd just need to source a sponsor for the prizes :D
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby petekd » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Prestige Steve.... :wink: The best 12 sea related pictures of the year onto a calendar and sold online and elsewhere in aid of the RNLI.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby fenitbob » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Big problem with a photo forum is hosting the pics so I suggest everybody interested get a flickr account or a pix.ie account to host the images.

if we all decide to go with one of these we could have a group and put our pics in that way. Will I create a sea angling ireland group on flickr?
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Cameras and Photography