unfortunately a short trip out

Sun May 28, 2023 7:33 am

Out from Killybegs again myself and my buddy, we had decided to try out some cheap rods and reels bought from Decathlon but brought a couple of spares just in case. So the tackle was ; rod and reel spinning set €36 ( the lightest) and 15 pound braid €10 euro and a few of their mixed paddle tails. What a day of pure fun and amazingly the rods held up having been bent under the boat and every other direction possible. Lots of pollock up to 7 or 8 pound, great runs from coalie and strings of mackerel. Unfortunately my friend wasnt well all day ( not sea sick) and we had to leave early. Another complete set of each will be bought this week for when the inevitable happens.

Re: unfortunately a short trip out

Mon May 29, 2023 11:22 am

Nice to get a run out! Reef fishing with light lure rods is a great way to fish. Be interesting to see how long the reels last!

Tue May 30, 2023 6:12 am

I hear you.. They were under fierce pressure with Pollock and the runs of the coalies.Great fun all the same. We bought them knowing that the reels or rods will explode at some stage but that just adds to the whole thing and we bring our tried and tested rods as backup as well.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:08 am

Its Ofishal wrote:I hear you.. They were under fierce pressure with Pollock and the runs of the coalies.Great fun all the same. We bought them knowing that the reels or rods will explode at some stage but that just adds to the whole thing and we bring our tried and tested rods as backup as well.

I've exploded 2-3 "quality brand" rods in recent years, perhaps I'll give Decathlon a go for some back-up gear!