What was the best fish you've ever caught?

Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:11 am

From shore or boat or wherever! What was the best fish you've ever caught? or the one you are most proud of?

For me it was this 10lb bass in Dublin last year! Caught on peeler crab one nice June evening.

1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What was the best fish you've ever caught?

Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:43 pm

funny the best fish I have caught isn't the biggest, I was trout fishing and managed to catch my first wild brown trout on the fly . It wasn't big only about a pound weight but on the wee fly rod it put up a hell of a scrap.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:03 pm

The same story as MC not my best fish but one I've been chasing for a long time, a ling from the shore.

Caught it from Culoo rock on Valentia Island during the summer.

LING 7.4 lb..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:56 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to catch 2 specimen sized salmon on the fly.
The first one was 21lbs on my last day of the 2021 season. The second was about 24lbs and was my first fish of the 2022 season.
The 21 was my proudest catch to that point, I’d been after a 20 for many years but the fish I had at the start of the 2023 was the most magnificent salmon I’ve ever laid eyes on in the flesh.
Unfortunately I didn’t get a great pic as I was on my own and the priority was to get it returned.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:20 pm

This one springs to mind every time above all others
The fish of dreams and a moment of delirium when I'd realised this dream.. :))
Alaska 2015. Est. 150lb

That's a deadly bass all the same!

Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Some awesome catches there.
I haven't caught anything over ~8lbs, but one I'm most proud of was catching a turbot from a Wexford beach a few years ago. I had never heard of them being a possibility in that region, especially over by the Hook Peninsula.

I need to get out again soon!