Beachcaster sought for Pendulum casting

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Beachcaster sought for Pendulum casting

Postby delmonte » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:17 am

Hello,
My old Daiwa Sandstorm rods are getting a bit dated now and I want to take the plunge and try get into pendulum casting properly. I'm looking for a quality rod to use with a multiplier to try maximise distance but am finding the search a bit of a conundrum.

Zziplex are closed down now so that rules them out, so as far as I can see,that leaves Conoflex and Century rods. Basically i'm looking for recommendations of peoples rods of choice from these makes or any other quality brand. Also I see the likes of Century seem to grade their rods by mixed or rough ground etc. would this really make much of a difference when it comes to fishing the beaches around Ireland?
delmonte
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Beachcaster sought for Pendulum casting

Postby MC » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:15 pm

conoflex have shut down years ago, century are a good there is also a new range call zulron i think

For this message the author MC has received thanks:
delmonte (Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:32 am)
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 385 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:02 pm

delmonte wrote:Hello,
My old Daiwa Sandstorm rods are getting a bit dated now and I want to take the plunge and try get into pendulum casting properly. I'm looking for a quality rod to use with a multiplier to try maximise distance but am finding the search a bit of a conundrum.

Zziplex are closed down now so that rules them out, so as far as I can see,that leaves Conoflex and Century rods. Basically i'm looking for recommendations of peoples rods of choice from these makes or any other quality brand. Also I see the likes of Century seem to grade their rods by mixed or rough ground etc. would this really make much of a difference when it comes to fishing the beaches around Ireland?

Far too many variables for there to be one "perfect" rod.

Best bet is join a local club and have a shake of a good few different rods then chase down a 2nd hand one for value for money.

Have to try before you buy as a quality rod isn't cheap and have to be sure it's what you want

For this message the author gearoid mc s. has received thanks:
delmonte (Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:32 am)
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:05 pm

Have you looked at AFAW rods ? Easily available in Ireland compared to century and Zzips.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Dave F » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:37 pm

And fantastic rods. I have a mk1 match I got rebuilt and a pair of GB FS Pros and they're brilliant. Great build quality, bite detection and cast very well. The Match has plenty power. The FS Pro is a very powerful rod.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby delmonte » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:00 am

Thanks lads I’ll have a look and do a bit more research. I was getting fixated on a Century T900-SGT. Seems to be suited for mixed to heavy ground with good bite indication and plenty of power in the blank. Fishing megastore in Glasgow said they would cut out the UK vat and seemingly items made in the UK over a certain amount are exempt from customs duty. I’d prefer to buy in Ireland if possible though.
delmonte
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:09 am

They are very powerful rods, just note the 6and bait models are abit heavy to hold but well priced.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:40 am

delmonte wrote:Thanks lads I’ll have a look and do a bit more research. I was getting fixated on a Century T900-SGT. Seems to be suited for mixed to heavy ground with good bite indication and plenty of power in the blank. Fishing megastore in Glasgow said they would cut out the UK vat and seemingly items made in the UK over a certain amount are exempt from customs duty. I’d prefer to buy in Ireland if possible though.

Any Uk distributor selling to Ireland should remove the VAT, the import charges Irish customs tag on then are equivalent to VAT so you are paying the same pre-Brexit essentially. No import taxes on items under €22 I think it is.

New or second-hand choice of top rods is limited in Ireland unfortunately. But tackle shops can hold a good stock of 2nd hand stuff, pay them a visit when you are passing.

Would be easier for lads to recommend rods if you describe where you are fishing tides, ground etc. Any rod will handle a pendulum within reason.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby cormyb » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:55 pm

delmonte wrote:Thanks lads I’ll have a look and do a bit more research. I was getting fixated on a Century T900-SGT. Seems to be suited for mixed to heavy ground with good bite indication and plenty of power in the blank. Fishing megastore in Glasgow said they would cut out the UK vat and seemingly items made in the UK over a certain amount are exempt from customs duty. I’d prefer to buy in Ireland if possible though.

Have to say I have been eyeing a pair of t900's myself for awhile now!!
Out of interest what was the price ex uk vat??
cormyb
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby delmonte » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:12 pm

They’re VAT is 20%. Works out at £487.50
delmonte
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum