Derrymore Beach/marks west of Limerick

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Derrymore Beach/marks west of Limerick

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 am

Hey all, bit of a weird one here.
I'm now based in Limerick city and I'm catching the bug again, dying to get out.
My problem is that I don't have my license yet and can't drive to any marks. With a bit of poking around online I've found that Derrymore is pretty accessible by public transport (somehow) and I'll hope to give it a go over the next few weeks.
Is there anything I could expect to catch there, is it too late for a thornie? I've done some trawling but can't find any info for this time of the year!

Additionally if anyone has any ideas as to other locations that'd be worth a shot that are accessible by public transport (from Limerick city), I'd greatly appreciate it although I know it's quite unlikely!
Tight lines all
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Derrymore Beach/marks west of Limerick

Postby Sean Mac » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:50 am

Hey man am sure there's some lads here can help. I see theres a good road N69 out to Loghill, Glin and Tarbert. Never fished along here but i see marks along this route and maybe Foynes also. Looks like access to deepwater. Think there are marks on this site but id say loacal knowledge is key. Hope you get sorted and back out fishing.
Sean Mac
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 124 times

Postby delmonte » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:22 pm

Kilteery Pier was recommended to me before but never got a chance to fish it. I have a mate living in Newcastle west I visit from time to time so I’d be interested to know how you get on. Might end up visiting him a bit more regularly if the fishings good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
delmonte
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Yip, why go to Derrymore when you can avail of the (apparently) excellent fishing in the Shannon estuary, particularly for thornies? - local knowledge and advice are key indeed though, ask around..
Otherwise, Derrymore is a great beach too, just need to hit it at the right time. Should be some lads on here can help
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum