Black Head

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Black Head

Postby Stephen8wood » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:17 pm

I'm heading down the Black Head North Clare in the first week of October. Is there much going on there at that time of year? Any info would be appreciated.
List 2010. fish

List 2011: less fish

2012: less fish again,

2013: even less fish.
Stephen8wood
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Re: Black Head

Postby roryodonnell » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:31 pm

Probably sea mackerel
roryodonnell
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 187 times

Postby ultran00b » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:03 pm

Mackerel have been pretty scarce up here recently, from black head down to ballyreen everyone I've spoken to is having similar experience. You will catch a few if you stick it out but it's slim pickings ATM. I've had 8 mackerel out of three sessions spinning at blackhead and another mark to the south. And one pollack...which is annoying as I love pollack! Couple of oddities I see are, the water has been ridiculously clear this year and very few birds about, I suspect somehow the inshore situation is related to this, anyway for some reason the fish are just not coming inshore (charter boats seem to be having a super season though). That being said, I've got a gut feeling that October will be better, all that nice summer weather will pay off with a nice big plankton bloom in October and then you could have a cracking week,hope it works out for you!

For this message the author ultran00b has received thanks:
donal domeney (Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:43 am)
ultran00b
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby CraigM84 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:39 pm

Last time was up at black head, possibly month ago, I managed to nab a few pollock, small congors, a massive spider crab (3.5kg), a decent size lobster (first time ever catching one and forgot to weight it, but did take pics) and lost a bit of tackle.
I can't remember which side of the lighthouse I'd gone, will have to have a look through pics to see.
Was dead baiting with Mackeral, squid and peeler, late evening high til it was way to dark, and had drop net with me. Ground is quite rough close in but its not so bad at distance.

I'd usually head for there or poulsallagh (south of fanore, can't remember distance, but it's right on the bend where the road leaves the coast). Have had some great success there with same baits, have picked up some nice size congor, bullhuss, some red kinda fish (have pic but can't remember the name), and decent size wrasse (caught with rag, bought in southside in Dublin, don't know anywhere on the west for these). I like the spot but again can bit a bit of tackle lose here too, just fished it so often kinda have an idea of Where's clear to cast.

Hopefully be back out to hit both these marks again in next week or two, will post back if anything worth mention
CraigM84
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby corbyeire » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:30 pm

yep reports have been pretty poor from north clare rocks this year - i would definitely recommend not fishing alone there are night - it can be lethal under foot with the dew and keep an eye on those waves, the 1 in 20 rule can apply there even when it looks flat calm. set up at a height
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Stephen8wood » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replies lads! Very detailed and helpful info there.
List 2010. fish

List 2011: less fish

2012: less fish again,

2013: even less fish.
Stephen8wood
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby corbyeire » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 pm

few pollack and mac down there with straps this week - nothing being reported out on the sand
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby CraigM84 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 am

Was out at blackhead yesterday evening, was a fun session, 5 dogs and 5 congor, nothing crazy big at all but but did miss two (assuming congor, they're the only gits I know of that can twist line so much it snaps when untangling it, one of these I didn't notice, the other lost on way in).
Fished 4 hrs to the high, 8pm, and 2.5 hrs after, Mackeral, squid and peeler crab used, Mackeral squid combo had best success, good evening fishing, gonna hit Poulsallagh next week or when weather permits.

Even had the pleasure of having the rescue helicopter flying over head and blasting water and waves everywhere for about 30/45 mins, felt like an eternity! Got nice pic of it though :lol:

For this message the author CraigM84 has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:22 am)
CraigM84
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum