Ugly Stick GX2 Boat also for Braid?

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:06 am

Hey Lads,
is anyone fishing the Uglystick Boat Rod with braided line?
I know there is a Braid version, but I am looking for the normal one and was wondering if it is suitable for braid as well, dont know what the guides are made of

Re: Ugly Stick GX2 Boat also for Braid?

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:39 am

I've been using braid for years on your basic boat rods without a bother. The way I look at is that it is just another gimmick by manufacturers to sell their product :cry:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:38 am

firetiger7 wrote:Hey Lads,
is anyone fishing the Uglystick Boat Rod with braided line?
I know there is a Braid version, but I am looking for the normal one and was wondering if it is suitable for braid as well, dont know what the guides are made of

In some cases manufacturers were fitting different roller eyes to braid rods because the older style rollers would not work well with braid. Other than that, once the eyes are good quality you'll have no bother using braid on any boat rod.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 am

Alright thanks, I just placed an order for the GX2 20lbs!

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 am

It's not just about the quality of the eyes. "Braid" versions of rods often have a faster action to make up for the fact the braid will not stretch when a fish runs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:12 am

keymcg wrote:It's not just about the quality of the eyes. "Braid" versions of rods often have a faster action to make up for the fact the braid will not stretch when a fish runs.

I think you may find that the action is in fact less fast. But that is really not a factor any more, all that is built in in the design phase nowadays. Braid is more popular than mono in general boat angling.

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm

The gx2 is a cracking boat rod and will be fine with braid

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:19 pm

I've been using braid with the gx2 from my kayak , works a treat, the 12/20 is a great rod, I've had nearly double figure pollack right down to Gurnard and dabs on it

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:25 pm

I have a GX2 12/20 and have used braid on it no bother.
The bite detection on that model is great because of the glass tip and even better then with braid.

A great rod, they take a lovely bend when into a good fish

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:15 pm

I took it out for the first time now, bite detection and differentiating between sand/rocks on the bottom works great! The 12/20lb was the perfect choice, 30lb would have been too stiff for me as I mainly use 5 oz weights.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:53 pm

No I find the action on my ugly stick braid and suveran braid is in fact fast.