Sandymount to Dunlaoighre West Pier?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Sandymount to Dunlaoighre West Pier?

Postby Alan Kilroy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:04 am

.....did I read somewhere that you cannot fish these beaches / rocks for some reason?
Never see anyone fishing along this 3 mile stretch.
Alan Kilroy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Sandymount to Dunlaoighre West Pier?

Postby Bluezulu49 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:19 am

There was a proposal in 2007 to bring bye laws which had the effect of banning angling in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown but there was considerable opposition in the public consultation. As a result bye laws were enacted in 2009. These are no longer available on the council website as they were superseded by the 2012 bye laws which state at prohibition q:

q) FISHING
(i) Fishing and angling is prohibited at locations specified in Part IV of Schedule 2.
(ii) The Council (elected members) may designate other locations or times where fishing and angling is prohibited.
(iii) No person shall spread, fix or leave any nets, bait, lines, boxes, fishing gear, fish or shells in any such area where fishing is allowed (e.g. any beached
area under the Councils control).

Schedule 2 Part IV
Designated Areas where fishing is PROHIBITED at all times.
See attached maps in yellow
Forty Foot Bathing Place (No fishing anywhere in this area).
Seapoint Beach (between signed areas, i.e. Lifeguard Patrol Area).
Sandycove Beach (between signed areas, i.e. Lifeguard Patrol Area).
Killiney Beach (between signed areas, i.e. Lifeguard Patrol Area)

I have been unable to find the maps but the areas where fishing is prohibited are quite small and easily found.

The full bye laws are available here :- https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/fi ... s_2012.pdf

For this message the author Bluezulu49 has received thanks:
Alan Kilroy (Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:04 am)
Bluezulu49
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby alby » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:24 pm

Alan Kilroy wrote:.....did I read somewhere that you cannot fish these beaches / rocks for some reason?
Never see anyone fishing along this 3 mile stretch.

Hi Alan,

No "ban" as such apart from between lifeguard flags in Seapoint, and a bit of common sense RE people swimming in Blackrock etc.

The main reason you see very few people fishing along there is a distinct lack of fish. There are flats, bass & smoothies; close to or in the small patches of reef along the way. There's deeper water and larger variety in poolbeg, dun laoghaire and dalkey.

For this message the author alby has received thanks:
Gonzo (Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:09 pm)
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby Scan1988 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:00 pm

I'd imagine the same it would be more frowned upon than banned doesn't take long for someone casting recklessly with a beach caster to get in a spot of bother
Scan1988
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby LCG » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 am

Not seen anyone fishing in Sandymount to be honest. Good place to dig up Rag for Dun Laoighre though. I've always prefered Dillon Park and Dalkey in general for fishing. That Pier is some walk till the tip
LCG
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum