Cullenstown or other south facing Wexford beach

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Cullenstown or other south facing Wexford beach

Postby CarlowCelt » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Heading out on a first session in about 3 years tomorrow evening. Due to family reasons I have not been able to get out at all, until tomorrow evening! :) Checking the weather for tomorrow and it’s giving force 6 southerly. Just wondering if that renders beaches like cullenstown, rostoonstown as venues to avoid? Am I better to stick with easterly beaches further up Wexford coast? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Will have ragworm, sandeel and mackerel for bait.
CarlowCelt
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Cullenstown or other south facing Wexford beach

Postby Sean Mac » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:37 am

Hi man, In my experience winds like this can bring lots of weed on shore making the fishing difficult. Just checking the weather it shows it starts to caim down from tomorrow night so from saturday could be better conditions. the south facing beaches may still be fishable but it depends if your willing to put up with the weed. An east facing beach may be more comfortable although the sea could be still rough. Also i fished Rostoonstown two weeks ago and it was full of spider crabs that stripped my rigs of hooks several times. I hope they move off soon.
Sean Mac
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 124 times

Postby CarlowCelt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi Sean, many thanks for the reply. On account of your advice, I am going to head east this evening and hit either morriscastle or Ballinoulart. Will hopefully have some sort of report to put up tomorrow! Thanks again!

For this message the author CarlowCelt has received thanks:
Sean Mac (Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 am)
CarlowCelt
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby MAC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am

How did you get on. I fished the Cullenstown area on the 8th and 9th and I couldn't escape the weed. Not unfishable, but nearly and it made the sessions very difficult, that and no fish :(
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum