Helping out a buddy

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Helping out a buddy

Postby shortcircuit » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi all, bit of an odd one here.

A good friend of mine was in a very serious car accident last year, and his health has not been great since. He has not gotten out and about much and can't do much strenuous activity.
He is from Slovakia and I think he used to do a bit of fishing when he was younger, but he hasn't fished in Ireland. I'd like to see about bringing him out fishing again, more for the mental health aspect of getting out of the house than the actual catching fish. He is living in the general Youghal area.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give advice on this, and give me some recommendations for decent spots. This guy has been through a very tough time and has a long road ahead of him too.

What I'm looking for

-Will be fishing this summer, so I'm not looking for your winter cod hot spot !
-Some place pretty quiet and not crowded. Getting out into nature for peace and quiet is a big part of this. We won't want to go to the Carpets !
- Not too arduous of a hike. Because of his injuries, my buddy can't haul gear for huge long distances, clamber miles over rocks etc.
- Would love a chance of a fish too. This will be all C&R (apart from mackerel).

All info would be treated in strictest confidence. For once, this is not really about finding a spot to catch fish. This is about giving a bit of joy back to a man who very nearly didn't make it.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Helping out a buddy

Postby fastnet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:26 pm

The piers in Cobh and Ballycotton can be very productive and accessible.Most charter skippers are very accommodating regarding disabled anglers,Cork Harbour should be calm enough for your buddy.
fastnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby kenneth hogan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Head to greenpark across the road from the walter raleigh hotel , easily accessible and some cover from the elements .
kenneth hogan
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks lads, good spots mentioned.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to advise on a spot that's a bit quieter in terms of human traffic. The guy is not wheelchair bound so a walk is not out of the question.

I was half thinking of trying Monatray or Caliso, but I don't know if they were any good in summer
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby robbiekennedy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:56 am

Caliso is very decent for lure fishing from now on , will catch bass and pollock and mackerel from august , it’s very snaggy for bottom fishing though and all I can get there is doggies anyway , is it lure or bottom fishing your thinking of
robbiekennedy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 29 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:59 am

robbiekennedy wrote:Caliso is very decent for lure fishing from now on , will catch bass and pollock and mackerel from august , it’s very snaggy for bottom fishing though and all I can get there is doggies anyway , is it lure or bottom fishing your thinking of

Good man Robbie, I was thinking of lure fishing and maybe a bit of float fishing: means less gear to carry! I might send you a PM there.

As I said, I am not in the game of shaking people down for marks, but this is not about catching fish it's about getting my buddy out and about
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum