Digging Ragworm

Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone has been out digging rag recently? I was out today in my usual spot which was fairly productive last year but after digging at least 20 trenches in different spots over the course of an hour I ended up with only 4 worms..

Would it maybe down to the time of year? last year I mostly dug from June onwards so maybe that's the problem..

Re: Digging Ragworm

Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Beds destroyed by over digging throughout the breeding season, 1st Nov to 17th March was always a recognised layoff time and should be left alone, but greed is the driver, gobshites buying it at this time of year have a lot to do with it aswell.

Thu May 06, 2021 11:38 pm

JOHN1 wrote:Beds destroyed by over digging throughout the breeding season, 1st Nov to 17th March was always a recognised layoff time and should be left alone, but greed is the driver, gobshites buying it at this time of year have a lot to do with it aswell.

Maybe it's down to a lack of accessible information? I myself didn't know there was a recognized layoff time, and there is nothing about it in the bait digging guide on this site: https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bai ... %20rag.htm

From the information I managed to find online on the subject of ragworm spawning season or even conservation (which there is actually very little available), my understanding was that they spawn in April and that they are green/sluggish when spawning and are useless as bait.

Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am

I'm not sure that people digging and buying can be blamed this year, considering the persistent lockdown since New Year there's been less angling activity and less demand.

Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am

I'm going to try a different location today and see if the situation is any better

Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Ok so, I tried a different location and it was waaay better, 2-3 good rag every turn of the fork so was easy to get 20-30 worms in 10-15 minutes.

I wonder what's going on at the first location :?

Sat May 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Rogerstone has been hammered the last few years.
Some diggers just leaving massive crators and not backfilling.
Then when there's heavy rain coupled with big tides the craters are washed away almost down to bare rock leaving no chance for the worms to recover.
Once upon a time you could go down and collect rag, lug, crab and a few eels from the sand banks in a little over an hour.
Sad to see how it has declined in the last while.
That type of neglect just boils my p..s.

Sat May 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Dogbert wrote:Rogerstone has been hammered the last few years.
Some diggers just leaving massive crators and not backfilling.
Then when there's heavy rain coupled with big tides the craters are washed away almost down to bare rock leaving no chance for the worms to recover.
Once upon a time you could go down and collect rag, lug, crab and a few eels from the sand banks in a little over an hour.
Sad to see how it has declined in the last while.
That type of neglect just boils my p..s.

Yeah Rogerstown is the location alright, I only started digging my own bait last year but the amount of people you see down there not back filling is ridiculous, such a pity