Rooney's Fishing Supplies

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Rooney's Fishing Supplies

Postby Dave F » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Anyone used any of these soft plastics for pollack? Made in Ireland and they look great, and come in smaller sizes for light scratching for smaller fish. I'm looking forward to getting some and trying them as soon as restrictions allow me to reach the sea again. The bigger sizes should make a cracking bass lure too.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: Rooney's Fishing Supplies

Postby TightLines » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Haven’t used for pollock. But have used for bass, and caught my first bass on them! Caught on 5.25” brown pearl colour. Nice sp lures, well made, and good fella to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TightLines
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Dave F » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 pm

I picked some up and they seem class. Can't wait to get them into some fish now! I got some of the 3.25 and the 5.25. Reckon both will be great for pollack.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:11 pm

I'm sure they'll do fine!
There's a whole bunch of small manufacturers out there at the moment and they are producing fine plastics to a high quality (Pirate Lures comes to mind) Some of the big name manufacturers seem to have walked away from stick baits as there is probably now little or no money to be made.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Alan Kilroy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:02 pm

I'm brand new to lure angling.....have my rod and reel, braid and fluoro should be here tomorrow.

So.....I bought £32 worth of metals from Glasgow Angling Centre......got them today, delivered by UPS. The UPS guy stung me for €27.01 this morning on delivery, taxes duties etc etc.
Now I buy stuff from UK regularly, non angling but outdoor stuff and have never been asked to pay Duties etc etc.
Buy local....grand.....but I'd buy one of the above boxes in a flash if I was sure there was no import duties. Can anyone confirm or is it just UPS?

Cheers.
Alan Kilroy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Cd072 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am

Since brexit came in anything over 20 quid sterling is subject to vat and duty.and to make things worse vat 22 is starting on July 1st. Gonna have to pay taxes on everything outside the eu from now on
Cd072
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Dave F » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 am

From NI there's no issue as far as I know. It's made buying from GB much more difficult though. Might be the end of buying the UK made rods here as it's difficult to stomach an instant 25% price hike.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby JimC » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Many UK companies are poorly prepared for Brexit. For exports to the EU they should not be charging VAT. Then when the item arrives here duty or vat would be applied. Any item of UK origin will not attract duty (Rules of origin are detailed!). And the threshold is €150 if duty applies. It could be around 10%. The issue gets compounded when the courier company adds a "handling charge" for dealing with your paperwork etc.

You should buy some Kilty Catchers - a great local metal lure. Where are you based Alan?

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
Alan Kilroy (Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm)
JimC

Postby Alan Kilroy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Dublin.
Alan Kilroy
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Alan Kilroy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Guilty and punished alright. Should've popped into Southside Angling and got sorted. I will next time though........
Alan Kilroy
SAI Lug Worm

Postby barvkelt » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Rooneys lures are excellent and great value. Had a good few decent fish on the two sizes of bulb tails, and caught a PB pollack using one of the Neds trying for wrasse!

barvkelt
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 am

Henry's and Southside both have very good websites if you can't make it to the shop.

Pecheur in France also has a very good site, seeing as there is little point buying from the UK any

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks:
Alan Kilroy (Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:19 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Rooney567 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi guys
Karl from rooneys here, there’s no customs charges from north to south, the problem comes from mainland U.K. so we have already paid the import tax as NI is still in customs union. Nightmare at times. Nice to see some of the replies on here from customers recommending our lures, thanks.

For this message the author Rooney567 has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 pm), JimC (Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:48 am)
Rooney567
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimC » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am

An extra spanner in the works now since Jul 1 - The threshold of €22 under which VAT was not applied has been removed.
So now you small package from China or any other "third country" (Any country outside the single market) will attract VAT regardless of the price. I notice many of the Chinese sites are applying VAT at the time of purchase.
I notice many UK companies (Not just angling) are ill-prepared for exporting. They should not charge UK VAT on exports to Ireland but they do or are unable to deal with the accounting aspects.
The threshold of €150 for Customs Duty still applies and at last check fishing rods attract something close to 10% unless they are of UK origin (Made in the UK).
JimC

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers