East coast cod

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

East coast cod

Postby Its Ofishal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Has anyone any idea of a rough area around Dublin where the odd cod can be caught. Im a bit new to east coast shore fishing, well thats a bit of a lie cos I did it 40 odd years ago when loads could be caught but now I believe its almost impossible and also is it the right time of year for them to be in close to shore.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Re: East coast cod

Postby Dave F » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Definitely should be a few showing up now. Try Shankill on a rising tide at night. Lug and mussel, squid and crab would be the baits I'd try. Big baits on pennel rigs. I've had more and better fish at distance but they can be very close in too.

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks:
Its Ofishal (Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:15 am)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby cd07 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 am

Try some of north Dublin rocky marks I've had a good few. Crab squid and mussel been the best bet

For this message the author cd07 has received thanks:
Its Ofishal (Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:15 am)
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Dave F » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Many show up around the Lion's Head or the Telegraph pole on Howth? The latter looks like it should throw up a few.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby cd07 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 pm

I've never fished for them around howth so I couldn't really say. Weather is to get cold from tonight usually gets them moving
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks lads so as soon as we get out of level 5 I hope to give it a go. I just wasnt sure if they still came around cos I remember cycling from Finglas tp Dunlaoghaire and Greystones and coming home with enough for the neighbours as well as my poor mammy (and I mean poor)
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Dave F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:18 am

cd07 wrote:I've never fished for them around howth so I couldn't really say. Weather is to get cold from tonight usually gets them moving

I'll be tempted to try for them from there in the right weather. The ground is the right kind of horrific, would definitely mean a respectable sacrifice of leads to Poseidon for the privilege! Once we can move around again I'll definitely be hitting up Killiney. It's always been good to me. I'd give Greystones a crack too. Are any of the north Dublin beaches worth a crack these days? I'd presume it's a distance casting game if so?
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Seanyy87 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:04 pm

cd07 wrote:I've never fished for them around howth so I couldn't really say. Weather is to get cold from tonight usually gets them moving

Fished for them in howth on a mark between the bailey and the harbour got a few .. also on the long pier on the knuckle bend .. telegraph pole was always said to hold a few cod have only ever had doggies and hounds thou in summer never fished ot winter
Seanyy87
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby sea serpant » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Killiney in the rough ground past the tea rooms holds resident codling I’ve had them there to 3 lb fishes best around late august to November on a ebbing tide before the arrival of smaller codling from November to March ! Fresh peeler for the resident codling or big lug baits in winter

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks:
Its Ofishal (Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:49 pm)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby m.b3 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:40 pm

fished the telegraph pole a lot as a youngster and never saw a cod between myself and my mates. tried off the rocks nearby and only had the odd small one. i would try elsewhere. they are around howth head but access is an issue and some of the spots a bit tricky to get too- is it worth it?
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum