Co Limerick mullet

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Co Limerick mullet

Postby Chelon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 am

Been trying virtually the length of the county from the city to Tarbert; have certainly seen a few fish though not in great numbers anywhere. I've yet to get them looking at bread, having tried a great many times. Does anyone have any experience in this area, I'm thinking of trying worm or fish baits, if so does anyone know any marks here where worm can be dug? PM welcome if anyone does have any current info.
Chelon
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Co Limerick mullet

Postby JimC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Most if not all mullet (that are not resident in lagoons etc.) tend to migrate offshore for the winter. Certainly you'd be hard pressed to find some down here in Cork Harbour. They'll be gone until April/May
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Chelon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

JimC wrote:Most if not all mullet (that are not resident in lagoons etc.) tend to migrate offshore for the winter. Certainly you'd be hard pressed to find some down here in Cork Harbour. They'll be gone until April/May

Hi Jim, yes I'm well aware of their seasonal habits, this question is more for next season, though I did see a few near Foynes last week so anything is possible. In West Cork they are present and catchable year round.
Chelon
SAI Lug Worm

Postby gearoid mc s. » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:45 pm

As Jim said above, in late summer however all the smaller channels and backwaters can be thick with them. Matter of putting time in is all it takes have seen some pigs over the years.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby Chelon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:08 pm

gearoid mc s. wrote:As Jim said above, in late summer however all the smaller channels and backwaters can be thick with them. Matter of putting time in is all it takes have seen some pigs over the years.

I've put in a great deal of time there and in other parts of the country caught plenty mostly on bread, but in Limerick they do not seem interested, that's why I asked for more local knowledge on marks for digging hopefully maddies - also any alternative baits that have worked in that part of the world would be welcome. I'm not sure if some of the fish I'm seeing are thin lips, that could partially explain their disliking of the white stuff.
Chelon
SAI Lug Worm

Postby JimC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Chelon wrote:
Hi Jim, yes I'm well aware of their seasonal habits, this question is more for next season, though I did see a few near Foynes last week so anything is possible. In West Cork they are present and catchable year round.

Ok, that was not clear from your post...
If you want to get mullet feeding on bread you will have to train them. By that I would suggest you use an onion bag or such like and keep it stocked and throwing out offerings over a few days. They will eventually get going. Unless maybe they are golden greys....
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Chelon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:59 pm

JimC wrote:
Chelon wrote:

Ok, that was not clear from your post...
If you want to get mullet feeding on bread you will have to train them. By that I would suggest you use an onion bag or such like and keep it stocked and throwing out offerings over a few days. They will eventually get going. Unless maybe they are golden greys....

Thanks Jim, yes I've been trying bread as you describe over many sessions, they just do not turn on to it at all. On a very few venues I've found you have to use fish or worm but as I say in Limerick venues they don't seem to like it. Weird because I've tried in Kerry and caught on bread from remote venues where they wouldn't see any bread at all. I'm really after a spot where maddies could be dug there, haven't found one so far.
Chelon
SAI Lug Worm

Postby gearoid mc s. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Chelon wrote:
gearoid mc s. wrote:As Jim said above, in late summer however all the smaller channels and backwaters can be thick with them. Matter of putting time in is all it takes have seen some pigs over the years.

I've put in a great deal of time there and in other parts of the country caught plenty mostly on bread, but in Limerick they do not seem interested, that's why I asked for more local knowledge on marks for digging hopefully maddies - also any alternative baits that have worked in that part of the world would be welcome. I'm not sure if some of the fish I'm seeing are thin lips, that could partially explain their disliking of the white stuff.

Very few people fish for them around here given the wide variety of toothier critters available, also maddies are hard got in the Shannon. Far easier bought if possible.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Clare side of the estuary with strips of mackerel.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Chelon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Go Big or Go Home wrote:Clare side of the estuary with strips of mackerel.

Now that is interesting, does that work in a few spots in Clare or only in harbours where they see good few fish scraps? Have you tried bread over on that side?
Chelon
SAI Lug Worm

Postby eoghanb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:24 pm

I used to get loads in balbriggan harbour ,what we did was take the fillets of a mackerel,then hang the carcass off the side of a boat a foot or 2 above the bottom,when the mullet start to feed on it confidently then drop freelined pieces ,just a hook no weight ,let it drift around among the mullet ,when one takes strike low and get the fish away from the rest or it’ll scare the rest ,if you get them feeding and there’s a good few around u should get a good few
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum