Portrane

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Portrane

Postby eoghanb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Where’s the handiest spot to park near the beach up towards the estuary mouth,how is the area for car brake ins?
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Re: Portrane

Postby Greendag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Someone local would probably know a better way cos I’ve only been down there a couple of times.
I drive down Burrow road and turn right on to Valley Lane. Drive to the end of the lane and there’s a spot to park for a car or 2, it’s a short walk through the dunes on to the beach. It’s a proper narrow lane btw.
Another way down is Beach lane but it’s marked as a private road so I didn’t feel comfortable parking there. As for break in’s I wouldn’t know either way. Down the road in Donabate cars getting done is a regular occurrence unfortunately.
Greendag
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby eoghanb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 am

Thanks for that ,so it’s like rush on the opposite side ,full of weird little lane ways and no idea if your on a public road or somebody’s private driveway or road . I usually park at the harbour in Rogerstown when I’m fishing that side and walk down passed the yacht club.ive never fished the other portrane side
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby daveyboy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 am

I always go down beach lane. You'll see it clearly on google maps. Turn down onto beach lane and there will be a caravan park in front of you where the road goes round to the right . Take a left immediately after that and then follow the road down . My car has never been touched. Watch out for dog shite though!

For this message the author daveyboy has received thanks:
Gonzo (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Gonzo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Beach lane is the way to go, I always park down there, and I'm pretty sure the private road signs aren't true as the signs only showed up this year and there is a good few residents down here. I also checked the land ownership on landdirect.ie and it shows as unregistered public land. Everyone I know who fishes here always park on beach lane too.
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks:
Greendag (Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:25 am)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Greendag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am

Gonzo wrote:Beach lane is the way to go, I always park down there, and I'm pretty sure the private road signs aren't true as the signs only showed up this year and there is a good few residents down here. I also checked the land ownership on landdirect.ie and it shows as unregistered public land. Everyone I know who fishes here always park on beach lane too.

Grand, I’ll park on Beach lane next time so. I was down there during the week at low water, Jesus the tidal range is huge down there. I had a little session for an hour or 2, no luck but there were some big fish moving in the channel, seen a couple of fish jump out the water, mullet I presume.
Greendag
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby eoghanb » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:47 am

I tried there last night but no joy,I walked down the beach first as it was just coming in ,never again the tide flies in it rose two ft in about 15mins so I just headed up the beach it didn’t take long to cover the beach,I thought laytown cane in fast this was something else
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum