Mystery Fish Skirting Piers

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Hiya,

This is one of those topics that are a little redundant without photos or someone else having been there but on two seperate occasions fishing in nighttime/evening I've noticed quite a few fish "waiting" or hanging out on the underside of piers just on or near the surface. First time was in Youghal on the pier in the middle of the town and second time was in Ballycotton. They seem to enjoy skirting between the shadow of the pier and the lit part of the water quite a bit and will usually become more active as I pull my line back in to retrieve it. I've tried letting my trace linger a little more before lifting out of the water and they just dont seem to go for anything I have. Unfortunately on both these occissaions its been too dark or muddy to properly see what they are.

Could they be Bass or Mullet? Any tips on how to get these buggers to take my bait :lol:

Re: Mystery Fish Skirting Piers

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 am

Hey Alan, What size are these fish?

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:44 pm

I'd say almost certainly mullet

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:24 pm

corkconian wrote:Hey Alan, What size are these fish?

Id say cant be much more than a foot maybe in length, pretty streamlined looking fellas and having looked at mullet on youtube I reckon it could be them!

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:49 am

Could very well be Bass.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:30 pm

They'd be Mullet I'd say.

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am

more than likely mullet but not to say you can't have a few bass in the shoal too

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:09 am

They are bass last sept I saw them as I fished for mackerel at daybreak,at harbour in youghal caught small joey dropped it straight down at the corner ,violent takes first 3 drops joeys lost ,4th, go 6lb bass managed to eat the joey and hook itself on my mackerel feathers.Must have been 30 bass hovering at the corner hitting passing mackerel,some double figures.Have also seen bass and mullet in the lights at the end of the pier at ballycotton normally 2-3am near low tide but never caught any