Fishing for Bass in October?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi lads,

Just wondering when the bass start to become more scarce and if it's even worth trying for them in October? especially around North Dublin?

Cheers
Gonzo

Re: Fishing for Bass in October?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Interested in this too.

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm

I've had the odd bass all year round in co.louth so I assume dublin would be the same

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:49 pm

Personally I won't bother with lures for them after now/mid October but I'd imagine it varies a lot between areas and whether you are trying rock marks or estuaries etc but bait fishing on the beaches should be worth it for sure

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 pm

While I've no doubt there are many factors at play here, pay special attention to the local water temperature. Here in Cork the first real big dip in temps from mid Oct tends to get the bass moving. On any given year there will be fish that hang about till Dec. I reckon there are fish that don't get the urge to travel and many of these hang about more in the open beaches than in estuaries. From a lure fisherman's point of view - End of October should see scarce bass, maybe earlier on the east coast because of cooler seas.

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:02 pm

It is the reason why this period is good transition and focus on COD...

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Get a few bass down here in Kerry throughout the winter. Good times for BIG baits for big bass in harbours and sheltered spots over midnight high or low tides

Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 am

At this time of the year they’re harder to get with lures, more wind, rain, colour in the water. I already cleaned up my lures, swapped out rings and hooks and stowed them away in anticipation of the new year and better weather. I think it is better to switch to baits on the beach In the hopes of a last bass hoorah, and I also turn the attention to a bit of Cod fishing.