Where to go next?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Where to go next?

Postby pauldirozza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I’m a beginner and have been practicing mackerel fishing from piers and rocks over the last few weeks..I have enjoyed the process and made quite a few mistakes along the way, as well as adding some rewarding sessions which produced some nice mackerel.
As the Summer fishing season is coming to an end, I was wondering what could be the best fish to target for the next steps..I did exploit chances to chat to a few people but unfortunately not enough to ask them to join them for some fishing together.

I would be open to learn some new techniques, ready to switch to freshwater fishing too and to upgrade my current equipment, even though I would probably try to target some other fish with the setting I have: a 12 foot 3 lb rod.

Could it be a good idea to contact some expert fisherman for some lessons?

I live in North co. Dublin.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!
pauldirozza
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Where to go next?

Postby shortcircuit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 am

You didn't mention what part of the coast you are in, that will make a difference as to what you catch this time of year.
If you are near the coastline anywhere from the Waterford Estuary to Cork you can start thinking about catching cod from now on I guess.

I'm not a coarse fisherman, but the setup you have sounds pretty much perfect for going after pike. Pike fishing really gets going in the Autumn /winter and that sounds like a good deadbait rod.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby pauldirozza » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:45 pm

shortcircuit wrote:You didn't mention what part of the coast you are in, that will make a difference as to what you catch this time of year.
If you are near the coastline anywhere from the Waterford Estuary to Cork you can start thinking about catching cod from now on I guess.

I'm not a coarse fisherman, but the setup you have sounds pretty much perfect for going after pike. Pike fishing really gets going in the Autumn /winter and that sounds like a good deadbait rod.

Thanks shortcircuit, I am based in North co. Dublin so I guess my area wouldn’t be suitable for cod?

thanks for the suggestions, will keep digging in for new info on the internet, even though there is also plenty of contrasting discussion about pretty much everything..sometimes I find myself lost in all the videos and blogs, so thanks again for the advices.
pauldirozza
SAI Lug Worm

Postby shortcircuit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Maybe some of the Dublin based posters can advise if Cod show up there during the winter?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby Dave F » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Shankill or Killiney will throw up cod. I dunno about anywhere much on the north side of the bay though.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Gonzo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:22 pm

pauldirozza wrote:
shortcircuit wrote:You didn't mention what part of the coast you are in, that will make a difference as to what you catch this time of year.

Thanks shortcircuit, I am based in North co. Dublin so I guess my area wouldn’t be suitable for cod?

thanks for the suggestions, will keep digging in for new info on the internet, even though there is also plenty of contrasting discussion about pretty much everything..sometimes I find myself lost in all the videos and blogs, so thanks again for the advices.

There is definitely cod to be had in North Dublin, especially on some of the Howth marks. Take a look at the telegraph pole!
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby pauldirozza » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone!

So would you recommend cod fishing instead of bass? would it be better for a beginner?

Thanks again.
pauldirozza
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum