Pumping Black Lugworm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:49 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to post about the lugworm pump I recently purchased on ebay, it's a fairly cheap one made of copper but it's actually really good, my second attempt this morning was very successful and I got a heap of massive black lugworm, first attempt my bung wasn't tight enough so not enough suction but once I tighten it and tried again it worked a treat!

The pump was only £35 on ebay uk and took just 4 days to get here! PM if you want the link to the product page.

Few tips if anyone is going to try it, firstly make sure your bung is the right tightness. Secondly look for the fatter and neater casts. Thirdly put the pump 2 inches from the cast and pump down 6 inches in the direction of the cast itself. Lastly if you are splitting worms then go shallower and at a steeper angle to the cast!

I also learned that you can salt the lugworm and they'll be good in the fridge for months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Wow those are some fat b*st*rds of black lug fantastic bait to have.

Is there a good way to identify where black lug are as opposed to the blow lug?

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 pm

They look like nice cod bait

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Wow those are some fat b*st*rds of black lug fantastic bait to have.

Is there a good way to identify where black lug are as opposed to the blow lug?


Yeah I was fairly shocked when I pulled those out of the sand :lol:

The way I found them was by going right out to the low tide mark on big spring tide on a sandy beach and looking for the thick but neat casts!


Go Big or Go Home wrote:They look like nice cod bait


Too right 8)

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Just thinking of taking up shorefishing after a 20 gap :shock: , the oul back might not be up to the digging so might invest in one of these down the line.

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 am

Great to see you're having success with the pump, is it a narrow bore one? I bought a bait pump many years ago but never got to grips with it but I'm tempted to have a go again after watching a few youtube videos. In the meantime it has been very useful for sucking out the sludge that collects in the gulley traps at the foot of the guttering downpipes around the house!

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:15 am

Gonzo wrote:
shortcircuit wrote:Wow those are some fat b*st*rds of black lug fantastic bait to have.

Is there a good way to identify where black lug are as opposed to the blow lug?


Yeah I was fairly shocked when I pulled those out of the sand :lol:

The way I found them was by going right out to the low tide mark on big spring tide on a sandy beach and looking for the thick but neat casts!


Go Big or Go Home wrote:They look like nice cod bait


Too right 8)


Gonzo, would you think of throwing up a video of how to use it on your YouTube channel ?

Re: Pumping Black Lugworm

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm

shortcircuit wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
shortcircuit wrote:Wow those are some fat b*st*rds of black lug fantastic bait to have.

Is there a good way to identify where black lug are as opposed to the blow lug?


Yeah I was fairly shocked when I pulled those out of the sand :lol:

The way I found them was by going right out to the low tide mark on big spring tide on a sandy beach and looking for the thick but neat casts!


Go Big or Go Home wrote:They look like nice cod bait


Too right 8)


Gonzo, would you think of throwing up a video of how to use it on your YouTube channel ?


Sure thing man! I'll try make it next weekend when I have some free time :D