Fishing after dark

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Fishing after dark

Postby pines » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

Pretty new to this, and trying to get out when I can. Now that kids are back in school my best time is after 8pm. Usually head to South Wall or Dun Laoghaire, with a spinning rod, hoping for mackerel, pollock or bass, but it's slim pickings. Am I wasting my time spinning after dark? Do I need to target something else, use live bait, do something different?
pines
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Fishing after dark

Postby Gonzo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:31 am

pines wrote:Pretty new to this, and trying to get out when I can. Now that kids are back in school my best time is after 8pm. Usually head to South Wall or Dun Laoghaire, with a spinning rod, hoping for mackerel, pollock or bass, but it's slim pickings. Am I wasting my time spinning after dark? Do I need to target something else, use live bait, do something different?

While you can use lures after dark you need to use lures that are dark or even black, then retrieve much slower than normal. I think you are better off bait fishing at night though to be honest!
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks: 2
MartinC (Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:58 pm), pines (Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby pines » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am

Seems counter-intuitive to use dark lures in the dark, but I must give that a try. I've been assuming that something silver or bright coloured would reflect any little bit of light that exists, but clearly not!
pines
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby daveyboy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Lots of people swear by lure fishing for bass at night and it can be very good. Don't get too hung up on the type of lure. You need to find where the fish are. . I'd advise you to suss out a bass mark by day first so you know when the fish tend to feed at that mark and what lures work. A lot of bass marks are rough ground with lots of rocks and weed so stay safe. I'm not sure about pollock or mackerel after dark. Never had mackerel in the dark myself but maybe under pier lights with a strip of mackerel under a float? Or as above bait fishing off a beach in the dark is always a good bet

For this message the author daveyboy has received thanks: 2
pines (Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm), Teegerstk (Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:50 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby shortcircuit » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Pollock have excellent low light vision. I remember one evening around this time of year I was fishing for bass right at dark with a shallow diving lure and the Pollock were hitting the lure in a serious way

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 2
MartinC (Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:59 pm), pines (Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby MartinC » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm

I second the dark lure for low light.. they seem to seem to silhouette better against the night sky vs a brighter lure..
Most palegic predators are sight hunters so you do have a good chance at picking up something after dark.. that said a float fished bit of bait on another rod would greatly increase your chances.. good luck :)

For this message the author MartinC has received thanks:
pines (Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm)
MartinC
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 97 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm

If you're fishing around piers etc, chuck some manky fish or bread/fish oil in a dropnet, then take a snooze before float fishing live prawn from the dropnet
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum