Keeping a Catch Fresh

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Keeping a Catch Fresh

Postby NewFish » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 am

Hello,

Haven't fished since I was a kid, so very newbie question to ask on how are people keeping fish fresh after they've been caught?
If fishing for Mackerel in Howth or Dun Laoghaire, after catching one (hopefully), it seems best to kill straight away but what is the best way for it to not spoil?
Are people using coolers? Will the fish be ok to sit out of water for 2 hours?

Thanks.
NewFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Keeping a Catch Fresh

Postby Gonzo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:12 am

NewFish wrote:Hello,

Haven't fished since I was a kid, so very newbie question to ask on how are people keeping fish fresh after they've been caught?
If fishing for Mackerel in Howth or Dun Laoghaire, after catching one (hopefully), it seems best to kill straight away but what is the best way for it to not spoil?

Thanks.

Gut the fish as quick as you can and keep it in some sea water or in a wet canvas bag and it will be perfect when you get home!
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks:
NewFish (Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 pm)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 am

It is a pain to transport but ice is the only job.

A couple of years ago I was able to do a direct comparison on mackerel that was less than 24 h old. One set had been in a bucket on board for a few hours before getting home and refrigerated. The second set had gone into a cooler of ice and seawater immediately.

The difference was remarkable. The iced ones were incredibly firm and perfect looking. Like they had just come out of the water. Tasted amazing. The ones that hadn't been cooled immediately after catching were noticeably less firm. They tasted nice but not a patch on the iced ones.

I even think I didn't gut the iced ones and yet they were still way better. Even more than two days later the iced ones were in great order whereas most people would be throwing mackerel out after two days.

It's obvious that the key to keeping them fresh is to get them chilled down as soon as humanly possible which stops the bacteria from getting going.

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm), Gonzo (Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:05 pm), mickser (Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:55 pm), NewFish (Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby NewFish » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
NewFish wrote:Hello,

Thanks.

Gut the fish as quick as you can and keep it in some sea water or in a wet canvas bag and it will be perfect when you get home!

Thanks for the advice!
NewFish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby NewFish » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 pm

shortcircuit wrote:It is a pain to transport but ice is the only job.

A couple of years ago I was able to do a direct comparison on mackerel that was less than 24 h old. One set had been in a bucket on board for a few hours before getting home and refrigerated. The second set had gone into a cooler of ice and seawater immediately.

The difference was remarkable. The iced ones were incredibly firm and perfect looking. Like they had just come out of the water. Tasted amazing. The ones that hadn't been cooled immediately after catching were noticeably less firm. They tasted nice but not a patch on the iced ones.

I even think I didn't gut the iced ones and yet they were still way better. Even more than two days later the iced ones were in great order whereas most people would be throwing mackerel out after two days.

It's obvious that the key to keeping them fresh is to get them chilled down as soon as humanly possible which stops the bacteria from getting going.

Thanks! I may invest in a cheap cooler box.
NewFish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:25 pm

If it's a hot day and your mack bashing just have a cooler box with an ice pack. If for the table gut them before you leave then.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:23 pm

We always use a large (get one with wheels to save the back!) coolbox with two frozen 3litre milk bottles of water, half a bucket of sea water added at mark/boat. We gut all fish except mackerel ASAP. VERY important is to drain out the water before it gets to the car home! Been there once and the car stank for a month after fish slimey/bloody water slopped everywhere. Something else to consider is freezing fish properly (use that turbo button and spread thinly/between other frozen food). After all the time and money we spend catching fish I've invested in a vac sealer. Goodbye freezer burn and hello to fish/bait lasting twice as long in the freezer

For this message the author SiDtheFish has received thanks:
Gonzo (Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:41 pm)
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Kevvv » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 pm

SiDtheFish wrote:We always use a large (get one with wheels to save the back!) coolbox with two frozen 3litre milk bottles of water, half a bucket of sea water added at mark/boat. We gut all fish except mackerel ASAP. VERY important is to drain out the water before it gets to the car home! Been there once and the car stank for a month after fish slimey/bloody water slopped everywhere. Something else to consider is freezing fish properly (use that turbo button and spread thinly/between other frozen food). After all the time and money we spend catching fish I've invested in a vac sealer. Goodbye freezer burn and hello to fish/bait lasting twice as long in the freezer

Out of curiosity why don’t you gut mackerel? I’d usually gut them fairly quick if I was bringing one home for the pan.

For this message the author Kevvv has received thanks:
mickser (Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:19 pm)
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:34 pm

The macks just seem to freeze better whole (for bait). I won't eat them more than a few hours old so any for eating are caught/bled/gutted on the way home
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum