1 up 1 down rig

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

1 up 1 down rig

Postby RyanHarkin09 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am

Hi there,

Looking for a bit of advice on a 1 up 1 down rig. Where I fish requires a bit of casting so I'm looking to buy / make a 1 up 1 down rig with hook/bait clips. Was searching online and can't seem to find any with clips (maybe looking in the wrong areas). Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my STK-LX1 using Tapatalk
RyanHarkin09
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: 1 up 1 down rig

Postby Dave F » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 am

You're talking about a loop rig. You'll want to use a spring for the top snood and a Breakaway cascade swivel above the hook on your bottom snood. I use Imps for the bait clip then, and just make sure when you build the rig that the spring is under compression when you're clipped together.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby RyanHarkin09 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Hi Dave F. Thanks for that much appreciated.

Sent from my STK-LX1 using Tapatalk
RyanHarkin09
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Dave F » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:48 pm

This is an illustration of it. For casting purposes, the shorter the distance between the bottom hook and the cascade swivel, the tighter the two baits are behind the lead. I think mine are about three to four inches, just the length of the baits I tend to use on them. You can also use a long bottom snood and a shorter top one to keep the whole thing compact. I tie one for a lot of my winter fishing with a 2/0 or 3/0 pennel rig on a three foot snood at the bottom for presenting a big worm bait away from the lead and then an eighteen inch top snood with a single 2/0 and a small crab bait. Good way to see what bait is fishing well and picks up good flounder in estuaries.
Attachments
rig.jpg

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 pm)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum