Braid for boat multiplier

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:29 pm

I’m after buying an Abu 7001 for a bit of uptiding and am wondering what strength of braid to use as a mainline for the likes of smooth hound and maybe ray? Also, does using a mono shockleader defeat the purpose of using braid as a main line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Braid for boat multiplier

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 pm

I've 30lb power pro on my boat rods. I would use about 10' of 40lb leader because I do a lot of drifting over reefs and fishing wrecks and it protects the braid from snags.

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 pm

I think a leader helps to give a bit of cushion for a hard fighting fish because there is no give in the braid

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks for replies lads. Is Using 40lb mono as the 10 feet of leader Ok or do you use some sort of a braid leader? I’v never used braid before in my life so haven’t a clue how it works :)

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:19 pm

delmonte wrote:Thanks for replies lads. Is Using 40lb mono as the 10 feet of leader Ok or do you use some sort of a braid leader? I’v never used braid before in my life so haven’t a clue how it works :)

I usually just go with mono as I can't really afford to be buying proper leader but I have damaged an eye loop from having too thick a blood knot.. the best leader for braid is tapered shock leader, as it is mono but tapered so it is easier to tie onto the braid and also makes a slimmer blood knot so less chance of damaging an eye!

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks man. I’ll have a look at that. Iv never taken the plunge with tapered leaders either but I may well now while the pubs are still closed at least!

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Remember that taper leader will only be about 15lb breaking strain where you attach it to the braid and will be very weak.

You will need to peel off the thinner line until the taper starts to thicken up a bit. I would be looking for the line to be close to the thickness of 30lb mono then wind on about 10' onto the reel and dump the rest or reuse it for traces. Way too expensive an operation

Have a look at this knot for joining braid to mono.
https://fishingbuzz.co.uk/2020/08/03/ve ... e-fg-knot/

Also look at the albright knot https://www.google.com/search?q=albrigh ... e&ie=UTF-8

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes! 30lb braid would be lovely. Just watch the diameter as some American branded line can be heavier for a stated breaking strain. For general boat fishing I'd be happy with "bog standard" braid. Some of the thinnest is quite expensive but would be overkill for general scratching about. Standard 30lb would work out at about 0.25mm.
There's some blurb on line here: http://www.topfisher.eu/line-getting-to-the-end-of-it/

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:52 pm

As above, the Albright knot works for me. Never had any trouble with it catching in the guides.
Alternatively if you keep the length to 10 feet or so you can work without having to wind the knot inside the guides at all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk