Donegal Bay 02/07/20, First Trip of the Year

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Donegal Bay 02/07/20, First Trip of the Year

Postby johnwest » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:25 pm

With the boat down off the axle stands, a check on the bearings revealed one hub with a badly cracked rim so that had to be replaced along with a new set of bearings. It’s a bit like the dentist telling you “Your teeth are o.k. but your gums gotta go” (from Unfinished Sweet by Alice Cooper). A quick blast with the power washer inside and out to remove the pine needles, algal growth and day to day grime that accumulates over the winter and with the bung removed to drain the suds and gunge from inside, all I had to do was remember to put the bung back in before launching. I say again; all I had to do was remember to put the bung back in before launching. The rods were then dusted down and checked, all good. Reels lubricated and checked, tackle box sorted and tidied (I was almost scared to open it!) and with the weather looking good, it should be all aboard “baidin Phaidin” in the morning.
A handy drive to the slip with only a couple of delays for roadworks on the ever-improving road west and the boat was rolling off the trailer and soon moored while I parked car and trailer. I returned to find the boat listing to starboard; all I had to do was remember to put the bung back in before launching! Lying flat on the wet and less than spotless slip, I could reach down and fit the bung and after some frantic bailing I was ready to go (but not before a quick trip back to the car for a change of trousers!)
A small group of porpoises passed by as I started feathering and I soon had enough mackerel and a large launce for bait, it’s always heartening to get the first mackerel of the year; “a darlin’ thing, a darlin’ thing” as Sean O’Casey wrote, probably after catching his first mackerel. A few drifts over the sand with boom, long flowing trace, spoon, beads and fresh mackerel strip failed to attract much attention so I motored to another spot where the breeze was pushing the boat slowly out from the shore; I cut the engine as close in as I dared and drifted out. A few bites soon registered and resulted in a couple of thornies visiting the boat. The fish seemed to be lying close in as the bites dried up as I drifted out so I had to keep motoring back in tight to shore. At one point the breeze died completely, the clouds disappeared and the sun shone brightly giving a chance to try a new deep water mark. A change from boom and long trace to a large baited muppet and down it went. The boat drifted very slowly so it was easy to keep in touch with the bottom but the direction wasn’t what I really wanted. I got some rattly bites, small fish worrying the bait. I switched rig again to a two hook flapper with smaller hooks and baits, the bites converted to hook-ups; whiting. The rock itself gave nothing but the sand around it gave up a succession of double s of whiting with a couple of dabs thrown in, one of which appeared to be smoking weed. Is that illegal for fish? Oddly enough the dabs took the top baits furthest from the bottom, must be because they were high on weed! Hauling small dabs and not huge whiting from almost 200 feet is not my idea of fun; I’ll try the mark again but for now I headed back to the sand and added to the tally of thornies with a couple of spotty rays thrown in for variety. The rays were all quite small, the biggest being a thornie at 3.5lbs. Usually this mark produces more spots than thorns, conspicuous by their absence were dogfish, not one all day. No sign of the usual gurnard or flats either today. Conspicuous by their presence were the Fisheries guys as they blasted past on patrol; no doubt checking for illegal salmon nets. During the best weather of the day, Met Eireann issued a Small Craft Warning, the signs of the approaching squall were visible in the sky now; building gray clouds, breeze increasing, a little cooler. With 6-7 thornies, 2-3 spotties and some whiting and dabs accounted for, it was time to head home. I was entertained on the way by some dolphins close to the boat, seeing a bit of wildlife adds to my day. They weren’t playing; they would show a couple of times then disappear for a few minutes; feeding time! Talking of which, my own stomach was starting to talk to me…..
Attachments
A Darlin' Thing.JPG
A Darlin' thing, a Darlin' Thing.
Large Launce.JPG
Some Variety in the Bait Menu
Fisheries Patrol.jpg
Luckily, I had already Hauled my Net
Double Ray.JPG
Two Fish in the Hands are worth Four in the Thornbush
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks: 3
corbyeire (Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 pm), donal domeney (Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:52 pm), Sean Mac (Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:27 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Re: Donegal Bay 02/07/20, First Trip of the Year

Postby johnwest » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 pm

A couple more pics;
Attachments
Small craft warning.JPG
Small Craft Warning in force?
Dab does Weed.JPG
Weed or Canndabis?
Spotty.JPG
Small Spotty
dolphin.jpg
Entertainment on the way Home
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Postby keymcg » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 pm

I think i saw you out on Thursday JW. The Mariners were out on a species hunt. The fishing was slow in the afternoon with dabs dogs and whiting seeming to be everywhere but we ended up with 20 species for the day. The 23 record still stands unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby johnwest » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:30 pm

keymcg wrote:I think i saw you out on Thursday JW. The Mariners were out on a species hunt. The fishing was slow in the afternoon with dabs dogs and whiting seeming to be everywhere but we ended up with 20 species for the day. The 23 record still stands unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You did indeed, and you didn't even wave!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
keymcg (Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:18 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:10 pm

That's a good size mackerel John! Looks like you had a great day out!
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks:
johnwest (Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 pm)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby delmonte » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Great photos John. An enjoyable read too.

For this message the author delmonte has received thanks:
johnwest (Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 pm)
delmonte
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby johnwest » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Gonzo wrote:That's a good size mackerel John! Looks like you had a great day out!

It certainly had length but a bit on the lean side!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:00 pm

nice report JW, nice to be out on the water again......
Great pic of the dolphin there!
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
johnwest (Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:23 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Thresher56 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Nice fishing and some great photos!
2009 species: thornback ray, pollack, coalfish, red gurnard, ballan wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, garfish, whiting, lsd, bull huss, flounder, pouting.

For this message the author Thresher56 has received thanks:
johnwest (Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm)
Thresher56
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 23 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports