Boat fishing and the tides

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi guys,

So my uncle and I are looking to get out fishing on the boat again at some point this week but it means we will have to fish over low tide and my uncle thinks we can't fish over low tide as this is what his old fishing buddy told him, I think this isn't true and as long as we get out 3 hours before and come back in 3 hours after low tide we'll have enough water on the slip.

Just looking to find out if there is anything we need to know about fishing at low tide around North Dublin?? or if it is not advised?

Cheers
Gonzo

Re: Boat fishing and the tides

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Some areas and species of fish do not "fish well" over slack water. Many species like the movement of water to help them hunt. However this is not always the case for all fish. You may try your area over slack water and see. It can be a good time to eat your sandwich too!

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:14 pm

If its Skerries no prob at all 3 hours before and after.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Get some Herne Bay rigs and YouTube how to use, we use them in Cork Harbour to give action to bait at slack water. Drifting if the wind will push you would be worth a try if it's quite.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:09 am

Why not go out on the dropping tide and return on the flood so you don’t have to worry about having enough water on your return

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:02 pm

The rockabill can fish well for pollockan hour before or over low tide 10_20 metres out using jellyworms on a boom with a slow retrieve.
Had a nice cuckoo wrasse out there too over low water on the float using rag.