Irish Marine Recreational Angling Survey - Online

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm

We had some discussion about the Recreational Angling survey recently:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50956

The surveying has begun although much of the work has been curtailed by the pandemic.
IFI has launched an online survey aimed at Shore, Boat and Charter anglers alike.
It is part of their effort to quantify the amount of catch, retain and release we sea anglers do.
The survey does not take long to complete and any contributor will get a Irish Angling Buff for their trouble (Submit email address).
Sea Angling Ireland is represented on the steering group that advises IFI on some aspects of their survey work. There are some question on the survey that have come from our discussions on here.
I think the survey is worth taking and I think it will highlight the amount of releasing that goes on rather than a huge bulk of retention.
The Survey is available here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IMRECSurvey

As an example:
When the EU were faced with a spiralling bass stock they used “worst case scenario” figures for angling mortality of bass. They did this as part of the precautionary principle that many fish were being retained/killed or released and dying.
As they got better information on catch and release practices and the lower than accepted figure for Post-Release-Mortality (Irish study of bass contributed here), they adjusted the figures accordingly and were able to change from catch and release only to anglers being allowed to retain one bass in 24hrs (Now changed to 2 bass in 24hrs).
Angling information helped the situation.

Re: Irish Marine Recreational Angling Survey - Online

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 pm

I completed the survey and have already received my neck buff and line cutter :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Did you get any confirmation via email after completing the survey? Noting in my inbox, even though I've selected to receive the goodies and all other boxes.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Alek wrote:Did you get any confirmation via email after completing the survey? Noting in my inbox, even though I've selected to receive the goodies and all other boxes.

Yeah once I ticked the box, a few minutes later they then sent me an email with a link to fill out my name and address

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Cheers, I guess there'll be no harm in filling it again.... ;)

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Gonzo wrote:I completed the survey and have already received my neck buff and line cutter :D

How bad! :D :D

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 am

I was speaking with people from IFI. The response to their survey was "unprecedented".They have never had so many people reply to a survey.
They are in the process of analysing the results and will publish some findings shortly.

One striking figure I saw was that sea anglers - 80/20 (Approx) Not a member of an angling club/Member of at least one angling club.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:40 pm

JimC wrote:I was speaking with people from IFI. The response to their survey was "unprecedented".They have never had so many people reply to a survey.
They are in the process of analysing the results and will publish some findings shortly.

The only striking figure I saw was that sea anglers - 80/20 (Approx) Not a member of an angling club/Member of at least one angling club.

Slightly off topic.. but as someone who has recently returned to angling after a 5 or so year gap, I wouldn’t actually know where to start in joining an angling club. It’s possibly one of the reasons why I enjoy coming here and reading all the reports and the knowledge that people share.

Anyone suggest a club in north Dublin? :lol:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:24 pm

JimC wrote:I was speaking with people from IFI. The response to their survey was "unprecedented".They have never had so many people reply to a survey.

The only striking figure I saw was that sea anglers - 80/20 (Approx) Not a member of an angling club/Member of at least one angling club.

Last year I tried 2 clubs in Cork and 1 in Kerry and got no reply before finally got into one this year. Currently struggling to get a number for Dromineer boat club. So I can see why but it's a shame as once your in the click everything's easier. Also have to wonder how many people that did that survey just fish for Mack's in the summer. Looking forward to reading the full results.

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

memberships have been falling at clubs and the number of clubs is rougly 20% of what it used to be in 2000

too many other distractions for younger members now to take it up

joining a club does not necessarily mean you will get flooded with info on the best marks - but if you show respect to peoples info that they have taken years to accumulate then more will be offered and in time you can get to know good marks/info

certainly a good place to start as a beginner - but dont expect someone to hand over a specimen bass mark to an unkown

im in a club 20 years and i still dont know - im from connacht - thats my excuse!!!

https://ifsa.ie/join-the-ifsa/

secretary2018@gmail.com

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 am

corbyeire wrote:memberships have been falling at clubs and the number of clubs is rougly 20% of what it used to be in 2000

too many other distractions for younger members now to take it up

joining a club does not necessarily mean you will get flooded with info on the best marks - but if you show respect to peoples info that they have taken years to accumulate then more will be offered and in time you can get to know good marks/info

certainly a good place to start as a beginner - but dont expect someone to hand over a specimen bass mark to an unkown

im in a club 20 years and i still dont know - im from connacht - thats my excuse!!!

https://ifsa.ie/join-the-ifsa/

secretary2018@gmail.com

Gosh, that’s a large drop in club numbers! I’m sure there’s loads of little reasons combining to cause such a drop.
I would agree that a club ( boat or shore) is a great way to meet up with fellow anglers. While the competition scene is not for everybody, members will always be meeting up outside comps for pleasure fishing. It is a great way to learn the ropes. You may also meet some of the daftest maddest people on the planet :D

Unfortunately, the politics attached to clubs turns many anglers off the club scene. Of course, there’s always the few souls that carry the clubs along, helping out, organising and suchlike and they tend to get not enough recognition for their efforts, more often they get others grumbling and moaning. :D