Rag

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Rag

Postby Chris T » Sat May 30, 2020 9:59 am

I know it’s a long shot asking people to give up their bait digging locations but anyone know of anywhere on the boyne that you can dig rag? Personal use only and with my back I usually end up buying them anyway. PM if you like!
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 33 times

Re: Rag

Postby Gonzo » Sat May 30, 2020 7:09 pm

Chris T wrote:I know it’s a long shot asking people to give up their bait digging locations but anyone know of anywhere on the boyne that you can dig rag? Personal use only and with my back I usually end up buying them anyway. PM if you like!

Dig around mussel beds at low tide if you can find any, rag like mussel beds.
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Chris T » Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Cheers Gonzo! Fair play on the Bess btw, first one is the toughest! Remember mine, about 20cm but probably the most memorable!

For this message the author Chris T has received thanks:
Gonzo (Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 pm)
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Postby kenf41 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Ive tried a few spots on the boyne estuary with no joy. Found one spot but took over an hour to get 4.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
kenf41
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 90 times

Postby Chris T » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 pm

They are there somewhere as I met a guy fishing one Night who had a load of nice big ones, finger thick!!
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Postby kenf41 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:28 pm

I'm not long living here and I've tried from the rocks at mornington up to well up the marsh rd . Got lug there alright.
I'm wondering if maybe the opposite side

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
kenf41
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 90 times

Postby spandito » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Look for seaweed and dark (smelly) mud. The smellier the better. If you go down to Clontarf or Sutton at low tide you will quickly learn how to find the Rag vs Typical lug bed. Added bonus that you might find some crabs. Whilst perfectly legal, I’d avoid going near any traps and just dig under the weed. I’ve found small peelers on the rocks to the left of the harbour in Clogherhead (front of fish processing plant) on the rocks near the waterline. Plenty of small shrimp can also be collected in the pools plus around on the main beach itself (near the rocks to the north side of the beach).
Best of luck but if I was you I would take that bait out of Louth (after lockdown) and have a proper fishing session either up north or down south. The Louth coast is abysmal the past 3 years and not from lack of trying!
spandito
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 16 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum