Strong winds

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Strong winds

Postby Gonzo » Fri May 22, 2020 10:53 am

Just looking to find out if the wind can be too strong for beach fishing? or is it a case the stronger the better?
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Re: Strong winds

Postby kieran » Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am

Hi Gonzo

Congrats on the first bass btw.

As for the wind, it depends on the direction and the mark, and your ability to keep warm in it!
Most anglers would say that the main wind to avoid is an Easterly - seems to put the fish off feeding, no idea why...

A SW or similar on the east coast can stand the waves up a bit and thereby create additional surf even on slack tides which stirs up the bottom, and now that you have a taste for bass fishing... well, a decent bit of surf out of or into darkness is never a bad bet.

The main issue can be you standing in the wind on an exposed beach. Sand in the wind is a bugger.
The other one is the rod tip swinging around like a mad thing... best to keep the line on a finger or use a suitable bite detector.

Still not allowed near the coast and with all this rain, the rivers will be in spate so no fishing for me this weekend... enjoy!

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Gonzo (Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Gonzo » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Cheers Kieran! :D
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Sun May 24, 2020 2:40 am

Forgive me for piggybacking off this post but can anyone expand on how the amount of seaweed floating around in the tide correlates with wind? I always see mounds of seaweed on beaches after a a few rough days of weather and I was wondering will fishing be affected if I go out tomorrow night. It's been quite rough the past few days with south westerlies in Wexford and I'm thinking it might not be worth it if the weed is a bother. Thanks in advance lads
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby Gonzo » Sun May 24, 2020 2:47 am

Teegerstk wrote:Forgive me for piggybacking off this post but can anyone expand on how the amount of seaweed floating around in the tide correlates with wind? I always see mounds of seaweed on beaches after a a few rough days of weather and I was wondering will fishing be affected if I go out tomorrow night. It's been quite rough the past few days with south westerlies in Wexford and I'm thinking it might not be worth it if the weed is a bother. Thanks in advance lads

Usually strong winds stir things up and dislodges sea weed, I was out fishing last night and it was unfishable due to the weed, but I went out again tonight and it was fine caught a flounder and a dogfish :D
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 am

Gonzo wrote:
Teegerstk wrote:Forgive me for piggybacking off this post but can anyone expand on how the amount of seaweed floating around in the tide correlates with wind? I always see mounds of seaweed on beaches after a a few rough days of weather and I was wondering will fishing be affected if I go out tomorrow night. It's been quite rough the past few days with south westerlies in Wexford and I'm thinking it might not be worth it if the weed is a bother. Thanks in advance lads

Usually strong winds stir things up and dislodges sea weed, I was out fishing last night and it was unfishable due to the weed, but I went out again tonight and it was fine caught a flounder and a dogfish :D

Always nice to catch after a blank. I'm due a fish now :lol:
It was calmer today and will be even more so tomorrow. I've heard of hounds caught around my part of Wexford so I think I'll give it a go tomorrow night. Thanks
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum