Velvet Strand Portmarnock

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Velvet Strand Portmarnock

Postby Gonzo » Fri May 15, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

I was out in velvet strand today fishing with the last of my mackerel, pretty much just to get out and try out velvet strand which I've been meaning to do for a while, I didn't catch anything but I'd like to find out about the information on the shore marks page for velvet strand and if it is still valid? On shore marks page it says you can catch Flounder, Plaice, Dabs on the bottom and Bass, Codling, Whiting, Pollack, Coalfish, Dogfish at distance?

There was a lot of commercial fishing boats out close to the beach I think might have been razor boats, must have been considering how much razor shells litter the beach. Is razor fishing ruining the seabed? and if so how is it not banned yet?
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Re: Velvet Strand Portmarnock

Postby ogie » Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 am

it fishes better at night with crab and worm baits .and yeah razor fishing is wrecking the sea bed but feck all will change in this country since nearly all off it will end up in France or Spain
ogie
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Gonzo » Sat May 16, 2020 12:36 am

ogie wrote:it fishes better at night with crab and worm baits .and yeah razor fishing is wrecking the sea bed but feck all will change in this country since nearly all off it will end up in France or Spain

Well that really sucks, I just read that commercial razor fishing is actually banned in English waters, we should do something like that here..
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby corbyeire » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

A lot of the info on the shore marks page is over 10 years old - a lot of it is still true, but some marks do change in time

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
Gonzo (Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum