Braid or mono

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Braid or mono

Postby Tom Walsh 99 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi all,
I am recently after deciding I want to get back into light rock fishing in the summer for the likes of wrasse and mackerel. I will also be using the line for spinning off the rocks, in estuaries and using the rod as a shotgun rod to fish in close while my beachcasters are fishing the deeper water further out from the shore. I have seen people swearing that braid will go through mono like a knife through hot butter and I have seen other's saying it's only an old wife's tale.I have been tearing my hair out for the last few hours trying to find a solution to my question. I have always wanted to fish braided lines but it has always been outside my budget when it comes to line choice. I have been researching multiple websites and tackle dealers as to which is best suited. I have seen different people praising braided line for is low visibility and strength but on the other hand I have seen as many people saying it is not like that and is actually quite likely to tear hooks out of the fishes mouth and get cut over small nicks with hooks and rocks. I would be very appreciative of your help and recommendations as to what you think is best suited for this type of fishing in your own personal experience,
Thanks
Tom Walsh 99
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Braid or mono

Postby keymcg » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:28 am

Ok so this question has been asked hundreds of times and there is never agreement on which is better because each has its pros and cons.
So I will give you my opinion for what it's worth.
If I was going to use braid as you are proposing, I would tie on about 15 or 20 foot of shock leader to the braid. This will act as a cushion on the line to reduce the risk of the hook pulling. It will also reduce the risk of the the braid cutting on a sharp rock etc. For spinning I would use 15 or 20 lb BS and for the "shotgun" I would up it to 50 or 60 lb BS.
Just my opinion, I'm sure you will hear several more. The sense of connection you get to the fish while using braid is hard to beat which is why I enjoy using it. Also although decent braid (I use Berkeley Whiplash) is initially expensive I will get 4 or 5 years out of a spool by reversing it.
Best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Tight lines.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby Dave F » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I've used 30lb braid with a 90lb braid leader a lot and found it great. Very rarely lost kit and so far I've found the cheap Chinese braid to give the fewest problems of all. It does have its pros and cons. In a heavy sea for example it may trip leads out where the stretch in mono would absorb the buffeting. On the other hand the reduced diameter will have less resistance to tide and wave action in the first place. Would definitely recommend trying it for yourself anyway, and the cheap chinese stuff is very good value to try it.

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks: 2
dmc17 (Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am), Woulfec (Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:21 am)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby JimC » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm

On a lure fishing rod? Braid all the way. Go 20lb braid as thin diameter as you can. Tie on a tippet/leader of about 2feet or so.
Don't wind it through the eyes unless you can tie something like the FG knot. 20lb Flouro or mono will do as a leader. It is less about shock resistance (Your rod and drag take care of that) and more about abrasion resistance. Many fish braid straight through. Toothy fish like pollack will rasp away at braid only.

Bit more here: http://www.topfisher.eu/line-getting-to-the-end-of-it/
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Thompst111 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:51 pm

I use braid on all my rods 30lb with 60lb shock leader of mono and 30lb with 20lb leader for spinning. My spinning rods have spider wire braid expensive at €30. But my beach rods I get the braid from Ali Express it ranges from 5-15 euro for 500-1000 meters and it's brilliant. My preferred make is jof. Takes about a month to arrive but defo worth it.. also I find the tapered shock leader brilliant for the small knot joining the two. I do cut about 6-10 feet off the shock leader so my 30lb braid is attaching to at first about 30lb shock
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby Inishowenrocker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Braid less streach could pull hooks from fish. Rough ground ain't kind to it. Can feel every knock bite n bump.
Mono fish less like to get hooked pulled. Better over the rocks. Less able to feel fish biting n weeds.
Inishowenrocker
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby ardinn » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:58 am

ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby Woulfec » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 am

braid is unreal for spinning, the connection can not be beaten.
you can get the cheap chinese stuff for heavy fishing too on Wish 5euro for 500m of 8 strand, up to 60lb breaking strain and its the same diametre of 20lb mono. i dont even use a leader and never has it broken of the rocks. the best thing is its so strong you can bend the hooks if they get stuck in a snag.
all the best
Woulfec
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:50 am

Spectra is the name of it. Just note the higher the braid quality the more careful you have to be with your knots.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum