Trusted sources of Weather, Tide and Sea State in Ireland?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Trusted sources of Weather, Tide and Sea State in Ireland?

Postby magicseafish » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Guys
I've previously posted a note to you moderator JD to ensure that it was ok for me to open this thread, which is primarily about asking for your collective insight and second to gauge opinion on a free site/app I'm developing based on my own 20 yr experiences of fishing the Holderness coastline in Yorkshire. What I wanted to do is to create a capability designed from the ground up for those of us who spend time making decisions about when and where to get a line in the water, and for many who don't live near the coastline, it's quite a time consuming thing to do properly and many people like me consult 3 or 4 different sites to get a picture often losing the near term historical perspective. So to cut a long story short I've developing a website/app which makes this simple.

It brings together the core set of information I need to make informed decisions (it's called https://www.magicseafish.com and for those who're interested here's a blog article which explains how the app was used to help is select a mark for the large Daiwa open comp this weekend just gone - https://www.magicseafish.com/team-msf-the-daiwa-beach-open-2019/). Interestingly I also provide a 5 day historical timeline as well as a 5 day forecast that near term history does have a huge bearing on current and future conditions...

sample.png

Currently to tool is in app form for iPhones and Androids, but I'm soon to be opening up a full desktop version which will allow you to bookmark specific locations from your laptop etc and then refer to the app based on your current position. Given my base in Yorkshire I initially connected into data sources for Weather (UK MET Office), Tidal Forecasts (UK Hydrographic Office), and Sea Surf conditions (Magicseaweed.com) which are UK centric - but that's just a starting point. There are additional integrations I've done to get data from NOAA, Eurpean Marine Monitoring Agency, CEFAS wavebouys etc but right now the prototype app is just focusing on the really key info. I have big plans for it, but right now it's just proving the interest with early visibility. So I'm not here on the hard sell - this is a trade of your insight for what I believe would be a free, useful tool.

Its not just a weather tool. There are many of those about. The key difference is that if there is sufficient interest over time, I plan to integrate simple but really useful feedback loops for anglers to tap a button to share weed reports, whether the conditions are fishable on mark, even catches (but that's a much more sensitive thing to address re privacy etc) and ultimately grow a level of community backed insight which will enhance the basic conditions data shared. This would have been truly invaluable for me as a new angler all those years back striking out on my own, avoiding other anglers out of sheer embarrassment at my ineptitude, and blanking for years before people passed on wisdom to help me grow into what is an all consuming passion for 20+ years.

So to my ask for help. My reason for posting here is because I am seeing a lot of traffic originating from Ireland to the website. I have posted an article on the magicseafish.com blog, to acknowledge that I am working now to extend the prototype to cover Ireland, but I need to first understand where you guys go for the info you use in planning? The goal for me is to use your feedback to then integrate data from those agencies into the MSF app, so if anyone chooses to use the app around your coastline, you'll get the same locational high-precision conditions report and insight.

So for weather, tide and surf/swell, do you guys have particular 'sea-angler' endorsed agencies/sites you tend to advise newcomers to trust? I'm really keen to hear from you about this - Ireland is my next goal for the service, and any further ideas from you guys for what would make it worth using - then I'm all ears. Lastly this is not a commercial venture, it's totally self-driven, self-funded and done purely for the love of Sea Angling, so please take this in good faith. Thanks for reading folks, Cheers Stewart
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Trusted sources of Weather, Tide and Sea State in Irelan

Postby timohcork » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Good man Stewart, that's a huge piece of work. I'm a kayak angler so more vulnerable to conditions and I use:
Tide:
Tidesnear.me

Current:
The relevant launch site and the animation at https://eoceanic.com/

Wave direction and sea state:
Magic Seaweed
Wind finder

Wind (I do this all the time for work at height) find an agreement of 3 between:
Windy
Wind finder
XC Weather
Met.ie
Yr.no
Met & Yr don't do gusts so I'm looking for agreement on wind speed and direction

Live sea state I've a list of webcam sites, for Cork where I live:

https://www.kitesportcentre.com/live-cam/
http://www.pinkelephant.ie/webcam.html
https://www.inchydoneyisland.com/beach-cam.html

Unrelated stuff but vital for me:
Charts Navionics
Seabed https://maps.marine.ie/infomarbathymetry/

For this message the author timohcork has received thanks:
magicseafish (Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 am)
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby magicseafish » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks Timohcork, that's really useful. I'll start looking at those agencies, with a view to integration options. XC weather is already on my list of targets - and good to know you're already using magic seaweed. As I say that's just the kind of steer I was hoping to get. I hadn't prioritised currents in the near term, as I have been focusing on shore based anglers, but i have purchased a bunch of admiralty tidal charts and was planning to integrate the tidal flow metrics at various stages of the tide....so I'll have a close look at the current info you use and see if I can provide a parallel. The amount of lateral run in the water is a factor when shore fishing but I've not thought through the expansion into open-water for you guys and the boat anglers yet. Watch this space, I'm really grateful for you time to share the info. Cheers Stew
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby timohcork » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 am

Put any thoughts of expansion way down the line! You're taking on enough already.

For this message the author timohcork has received thanks: 2
jd (Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:58 pm), magicseafish (Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am)
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Postby timohcork » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am

I forgot floodinfo.ie/map/coastal_map/
Irish Coast by Helicopter

For this message the author timohcork has received thanks:
magicseafish (Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am)
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Postby magicseafish » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am

Initial scan is quite positive, Met.ie and Windfinder provide API’s to let me integrate them into the platform ! Sea state is already sorted for Ireland by virtue of MagicSeaWeed. Looks pretty straight forward to get equivalent coverage to UK :)

The other interesting point you mentioned about ‘agreement’ of various sources - I had initially started out with the intent to have at least 2 sources for each trend but when consulting anglers over here (shore) most looked to very specific outlets - hence my selection of the agencies described in my earlier note. I wonder if that particular feature is more valuable to those of you on the open water versus the shore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby eddyfletch » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:02 pm

i use wunderground.com for weather it also has an app. has never let me down very accurate 24 hours in advance and pretty good from 3 days
Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie

For this message the author eddyfletch has received thanks:
magicseafish (Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:16 pm)
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby magicseafish » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks EddyFletch. Underground also have system level access - I'll explore that too. On the Met.ie suggestion from earlier I've been in conversation with the very helpful folks there, and just literally come off a productive phone call. Things are now agreed, so I'm actively working on extending the Met.ie coverage around your coastline. Will get that done and look then at Wunderground to see what if any discrepancies and see if we need to incorporate both? Cheers
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Teegerstk » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 pm

I'm pretty sure I can offer no help at all but this looks class, very handy
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks:
magicseafish (Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:57 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby jd » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:10 am

Teegerstk wrote:I'm pretty sure I can offer no help at all but this looks class, very handy

There are buoys that tweet regularly
Have a look at
https://www.irishlights.ie/technology-d ... harts.aspx

For this message the author jd has received thanks:
magicseafish (Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:52 am)
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby magicseafish » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 am

Excellent, I was wondering about whether I could extend the network of observation reports beyond the CEFAS SmartBuoy and Waverider network I already have integrated (see picture). I'm gathering hourly data/updates from all of the points here - but the links you've provided do seem to add an additional, more localised set of buoys? I've already dropped them a note, to work out how I get that data to weave into the app. Once I have the forecasting network extended, adding actual/current observations are next on the list so watch this space ! Thanks again this is really useful.

Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 09.54.30.png
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby magicseafish » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Guys, it's been some weeks since I opened this thread to ask you advice about how best I could extend the Magicseafish.com service to support your coastline. With the great feedback I've been hard at work and wanted to let you know how things are going.

The good news is that I've now integrated all of the necessary Irish data sources into the platform and that data acquisition is now happening 24x7 just like it is for the UK. That's effectively a source from MET.IE for weather, Irish Maritime Institute for tides and Magicseaweed for surf/swell at an extended set of marks around Ireland. This has come together really quickly and the guys at MET.IE and IMI are really helpful/supportive of new channels to get their information into your hands.

The not so good news is a slight delay based on the MET.IE terms of data-usage, which mandate that if I present their weather data to you through the MSF forecasts, I then need to provide a view of the active weather warnings in your vicinity. Whilst his is a great feature, the user-interface of the forecasting application doesn't currently do this part - so I've had to now get an app user-interface design change started. It will take a couple of weeks and then you'll be up an running !!!

In parallel to this, you may also be interested to know I've launched a non-mobile, or web-friendly version of the MSF service you can run from any browser - desktop, laptop or on your mobile. This option works in tandem with the app, but plays more to the large screen format you have access to when back at base versus using the app when you're mobile. Currently this online service can be accessed completely free at https://magicseafish.com/forecast and allows you to bookmark locations for future reference, also there's a search option letting you find places by name if you're unsure of the region.

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 14.26.54.png

You guys will see a new option in this top level page for Ireland, and everything else will be the same as soon as I get MET.IE to approve the new weather warning design in the application presentation itself. I'll be in touch shortly.

For this message the author magicseafish has received thanks:
jd (Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 pm)
magicseafish
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum