Line problems

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Line problems

Postby RoryH » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:57 pm

I bought a new rod and reel recently, fitted the reel with 19lb mono, no shock leader. Fished for about 6 hours today. The rod and reel worked lovely, casting 4oz weights handy enough. I wasn’t casting with 100% power but it seemed like the line was taking it okay. Moved spot, a couple of miles down the road. After my second cast, same weight, as I would reel up the slack to begin the cast, the line would snap halfway up the rod. The line wasn’t caught on the tip or anything else. I tied up again, went to reel in slack, snapped again (happened another time also). I changed my reel, with 25 or 30lb braid which is probably 2 years old now. Same thing happened immediately. Would it be coincidence that the mono could be split or weakened, and old braid just snapping, or would it be something with the rod that I’m missing. Any help would be appreciated, made an awful prick of a nice evening haha
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Line problems

Postby corbyeire » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Check the eyes lower down from the tip for any cracks or chips - the smallest thing could be weakening the line
also check is there any skuff on your bail arm or roller

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
donal domeney (Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:08 am)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby cd07 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 am

As said above sounds very like one of the eyes on the rod is cracked or the plastic insert gone altogether
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby RoryH » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks lads, appreciate the help. Pulled it out today top rung has a small chip out of it, cuts the line with any bit of pressure!
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:16 pm

At least you know the problem now and wont be throwing weights and line away - at least its the tip eye - easiest to fix
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum