Mussels

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 pm

So how highly would any of you guys rate mussels as bait? Personally I think they're great and have had some lovely fish on them

Re: Mussels

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 pm

I could not agree more they are one of the best baits especially for cod they are easily collected from the shore where they are abundant if you know where to go for them I have been using them from shore and boat
for over thirty years still collecting them from the same place once or twice a year as you can collect as many as you like have to be the best FREE bait available to fish with.
mickser

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:46 am

Yea I hear ya totally agree

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:49 am

Have caught almost all common shore spices bar smoothies on them. Even had mackerel in November on them whilst fishing for Whiting/cod

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:52 am

I haven't used them much, although I have picked up flats on them before. I know of a big enough mussel bed not far from where I live so I must collect a few some time

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Top bait that a lot of anglers over look. In my younger days it was the top bait up the Wicklow beaches for haddock.
Plenty of cod off Ferrypoint on them over the years. Some of my best plaice and haddock have been caught on them while boat fishing.
There was a time when the father would never go boat fishing in Cork Harbour without them. When I launch in Aghada I will always take the time to run up to the marina in Marlogue to get some off the legs of the pontoon.