Shark lures?

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Shark lures?

Postby Vladimir » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Just got this lure delivered from US. I do not expect too much, however I will try this one to troll along the boat with full mackerel on and the chum hanging from the boat. They used those lure for catching Mako which I believe have the same life style as the blues.
Is my chance more than 0.001% to catch a blue? It seems the weather is calm next week, I will try to get my little boat around Roches Point (Co Cork).
Thanks
Attachments
Mako_Madness-1.jpg

For this message the author Vladimir has received thanks:
mickser (Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:58 pm)
Vladimir
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Shark lures?

Postby cd07 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm

I'd seriously doubt your chances of a blue on a lure. Makos are extremely fast sharks that actively hunt down their prey. Blues on the other hand are more opportunistic feeders and will scavenge on dead mammals and fish. They do of course hunt live prey but aren't anywhere near as fast as a mako
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Blues are known to behave far more aggressively in warmer water... but you could pull in a GBFT!!! Good luck anyhow...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby pajo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Sure it's worth a shot! You'd never know what might hit it! Good luck.

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby JimC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Vladimir wrote:Just got this lure delivered from US. I do not expect too much, however I will try this one to troll along the boat with full mackerel on and the chum hanging from the boat. They used those lure for catching Mako which I believe have the same life style as the blues.
Is my chance more than 0.001% to catch a blue? It seems the weather is calm next week, I will try to get my little boat around Roches Point (Co Cork).
Thanks

It will depend on how far you can get out in your dinghy! Sharks move out at this time of year... Because of the bad weather, I have not heard many reports of Bluefin.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers